Drilling in Alaska: Drill Baby Drill or Huge Mistake?
Anti Drilling and Pro Drilling Enthusiasts, Weigh In On The Alaska Drilling Debate
Drilling in Alaska has been a major issue politically, and a major hurdle for environmentalists. With the passing of a bill to allow offshore drilling in Alaska, some say it will alleviate our dependence on foreign oil. Others say that by the time the small amount of oil is refined and ready it will be ten years down the road, much too long to wait, and possibly not worth the effort, money, and resources. Some say that it will have a positive affect on oil and gas prices. What's the cost of doing this, and where do you stand on this issue? Be sure to share your side in the comments.
Picture above courtesy of Hardo on Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons 2.0.
Drilling in Alaska - Are You For It or Against It? - Weigh in on the Alaska Drilling Debate!
No profanities or your post will autmoatically be deleted. Keep it a debate and provide factual reasons and back it up. Try to convince people, say something more than "I'm for drilling" or "I'm against drilling."
Drilling in Alaska...are you for it or against it??
Why won't Drilling Work? - Anti drilling facts
- There's not enough oil to make it worth it. Approximately .2% - 1% of the world's oil.
- It will harm local wildlife. Drilling traditionally has large negative consequences on local wildlife.
- The proposed drilling area is directly adjacent to protected lands, and IN protected lands, the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).
- Investing the same amount of money and time into alternative energy instead of drilling would bring about quicker, larger, and more positive results without the large impacts on wildlife.
Drill or don't drill?
Drill Baby Drill! Popular Reasons to Drill Alaska - Why we should drill Alaska
- Drilling will reduce our dependence on foreign oil, reducing the amount of money going to countries that support terrorism against the United States.
- Drilling will lower gas and oil prices temporarily.
- Drilling in Alaska will create jobs and spark the economy of the United States.
- There is no true accurate estimate of the amount of oil in Alaska--perhaps there is more than we think.
Do you think drilling will make a huge impact on our dependence on foreign oil?
Photo courtesy of Daniel Schwen
Do you think that drilling will improve the U.S. economy?
Information about Drilling ANWR
Thanks for Visiting!