most pressing to least
1. The American credit and debt structure, we have get spending under control, states are on the verge of bankruptcy and the fed has no money to bail them out.
2. Unemployment, with millions out of work, the fed gov. needs to get out of the way of the private sector and them create jobs. The EPA and other regulatory agencies make it difficult if not down right impossible for business to build new facilities.
3. Aid to other countries has to be cut, especially aid sent to countries that intend to harm us. The money we spend in foreign aid would be better spent taking care of the unemployed here.
4. Legalize Pot and empty the prisons of non violent criminals. The criminal justice system is completely broken when we let violent criminals out to replace them with someone arrested for possession of Marijuana. The money we would save on the war on drugs could be used for treatment and housing more of the criminals that would use violence against others.
5. Get rid of the IRS, the American tax system is a penalty on achievement. The more you make, the more they take. The time spent just conforming with IRS regulations could be better spent creating jobs. Simplify the tax system, a good place to start would be the Fair tax, you only get taxed when you spend money. This way everyone would pay in, illegal aliens, criminals and other who participate in the underground economy. For more info, read the book by John Linder and Neil Boortz.
These 5 steps would dramatically improve the quality and life style of the American people over time.