backporchstories profile image 84

Why is it that in America, the majority fall short of taking care of our ailing and aging parents?

It seems like most people are too busy with their lives to be responsible for our aging parents. Too often we look to nursing homes or elderly community living to see to those golden years of the people who committed to taking care of us in our younger years. In other cultures, they are more apt to take on this task, but here in America, we are convinced that professional care is better. Why is this, when we know they are being detached from the family and become lonely and isolated and sometimes abused?

shampa sadhya profile image86

Shampa Sadhya says

onegoodwoman profile image82

onegoodwoman says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 5 years ago

It seems that way! We are so neglecting a great resource of wisdom from our Elders.

Express10 profile image87

H C Palting (Express10) says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 5 years ago

I see and understand your thoughts, however, as a parent, I have given up pay and time to care for my children when they are sick. It is simply a responsibility and a way of life. My children healed faster knowing momma or their father was there!

Goodpal profile image88

Goodpal says

Attikos profile image77

Attikos says

Becky Katz profile image88

Becky Katz says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 5 years ago

I agree with you that there are a good deal of us who do take that responsibility and I pray my children will fall in that category.

glmclendon profile image61

glmclendon says

Amethystraven profile image82

Amethystraven says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 5 years ago

They gave my mother 6 months and thanks to being able to remain home with the support of my father, hospice and us siblings, she lasted 3 more years and was smiling and still quick witted until the last day!

Leaderofmany profile image61

Leaderofmany says

erickcb says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 5 years ago

You are so right....such treasures lay in the Elders!