iantoPF profile image 85

Is it possible to make a rational case for Socialism in the light of so many failures?

Best Answer scriber1 says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

I like this answer. Well thought out and reasonable. I wonder though, is it possible to take the best from ALL systems when Capitalism is based on competition and Socialism is based on Co-operation. Definitely voted up.

Attikos profile image79

Attikos says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

What a great reply, Attikos. I appreciate the people who make me think about why I disagree with them. I have never met a Socialist who believed in rule by an elite. I always thought that is a capitalist idea. control by destroying the competition.

Josak profile image60

Josak says

• TomBlalock profile image

TomBlalock 5 years ago

Very true. One of the problems dealing with socialism, and its evil twin, communism, is that power tends to concentrate, and it makes it harder for the people to have an active voice in, leading to abuse and revocation of rights. Kudos.

TomBlalock profile image86

TomBlalock says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm inclined to vote up well argued answers whether I agree with them or not. This one I voted down.

lawrence2012 profile image60

lawrence2012 says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

Thank you Lawrence; May I ask you to clarify slightly. You seem to be saying that a case can be made for the Socialist ideal but not for the Socialist society. Do I have it right?

Lions Den Media profile image60

Lions Den Media says

• TomBlalock profile image

TomBlalock 5 years ago

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about marxism and utopian communism as a form of socialism? I ask because certain countries like Norway have a mix of capitalism and socialism that seems to work quite well.