So most people believe the United States is a Democracy. The US was actually founded as a Republic. Some of the founders had put much thought in what they wanted the country to be. They knew that all of the previous democracies in the past had failed, and moved towards tyranny. So they created a Republic with democratic processes. Who can tell me the differences of a Republic and Democracy? Also, why have all Democracies failed in the past, and if true why did we switch from a Republic to a Democracy instead of listening to history?
sort by best latest
I completely agree, although our country has been fighting a central bank since our founding.
You have the perfect answer in your hub, Gecko, so I will only expand a little. 1) The Continental Congress is what conservatives seem to want to replicate and 2) our democratic republic idea is actually historically based-on Greek and Roman ideas.
Excuse me. The biggest influence to the early Americans was the Native American confederations. There was nothing like that in Europe. Let's keep it real and adopt more of their wise ways.
Have things really changed much then? The wealthy at the top ruling over the rest of us. Doesn't seem to matter which form of government we choose (or, they choose) =\
thegecko is right doesn't matter what form of government, there is always a top class and bottom class. We used to have a middle class in which people were able to live comfortably, but government inflated the money, and caused transfer a of wealth
Throughout history people in power end up failing. Those not in power overthrow them. Time passes. The once usurpers transform into incompetent leaders. They in turn become overthrown. Cycle continues.
I can never get the capitalization right, and it Pisses me of, lol. I freely capitalize conservative, constitution, president and other such words sometimes properly and sometimes not and it upsets me that I don't remember when to and when not to.
Sorry for the capitalization. There are differences between a republic and democracy. Republic you have individual rights, where as in a democracy, the majority has rights. Democracies have always failed in the past. We can't be both at once.
The last democracy was in ancient Greece. Hello? Is anybody home?
Sorry, I sounded pretty pedantic there. A pure democracy would be a disaster. We need something (like our Bill of Rights) to protect individuals from the tyranny of the majority. Have there been any pure democracies?
Have there been any pure forms of any type of government? o.O
Have you ever heard of a referendum? Many issues are put on local and state ballots for an up or down vote by the people. We worked hard to outlaw gill nets in Florida. It was one person, one vote for that issue.
Hey, how do you get a picture to show up in your comment?
I have to agree with SB asking the question. When 1/2 of America doesn't know who the current VP is, I suspect just as many don't know, or care, what a demcracy, republic, or representative democracy is; I think it is a legitamite question
Submit comment, click edit comment, add photo option is above quarky, drupal box. I get my image from Yahoo before I submit (right click save image url) so it is ready. It is better to use your own image if you have one.
A Republic is representative government ruled by law(Constitution). A democracy is a government ruled by the majority (mob rule). A Republic recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals while democracies are only concerned with group needs.
What? I thought you couldn't get good LSD anymore.
Hey LD, sorry I didn't get my question approved by you, next time I'll run it by you first.
A democracy is all about individual rights. This is a republic, because the elite of the day did not trust the common man of the day to make good decisions. From listening to you, they may have been right. Where are you really from?
You are absolutely wrong about that. In a democracy, 51% have power over the other 49%'s rights. In a republic you can't take the rights away from anyone.
How do you figure? In a republic the ones in power can blow off the majority. Where have I heard this before . . . oh yeah . . . the "Peoples" Republic of China.
So we agree there is a difference then?
You are tripping. We have a constitution that guarantees the rights of the individual. This keeps the majority from disregarding the rights of the minority. We choose our reps by a democratic process. China used military - murdered opposition. No fun