SportsBetter profile image 64

Is the United States a Republic or a Democracy?

So most people believe the United States is a Democracy. The US was actually founded as a Republic. Some of the founders had put much thought in what they wanted the country to be. They knew that all of the previous democracies in the past had failed, and moved towards tyranny. So they created a Republic with democratic processes. Who can tell me the differences of a Republic and Democracy? Also, why have all Democracies failed in the past, and if true why did we switch from a Republic to a Democracy instead of listening to history?

Brie Hoffman profile image80

Brie Hoffman says

• SportsBetter profile image

SportsBetter 4 years ago

I completely agree, although our country has been fighting a central bank since our founding.

thegecko profile image85

Warren Samu (thegecko) says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 4 years ago

You have the perfect answer in your hub, Gecko, so I will only expand a little. 1) The Continental Congress is what conservatives seem to want to replicate and 2) our democratic republic idea is actually historically based-on Greek and Roman ideas.

cprice75 profile image81

cprice75 says

• thegecko profile image

Warren Samu (thegecko) 4 years ago

Have things really changed much then? The wealthy at the top ruling over the rest of us. Doesn't seem to matter which form of government we choose (or, they choose) =\

SportsBetter profile image64

SportsBetter says

Chris Hugh says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 4 years ago

I can never get the capitalization right, and it Pisses me of, lol. I freely capitalize conservative, constitution, president and other such words sometimes properly and sometimes not and it upsets me that I don't remember when to and when not to.

Rafick says

Rock_nj profile image87

John Coviello (Rock_nj) says

• WD Curry 111 profile image

WD Curry 111 4 years ago

Have you ever heard of a referendum? Many issues are put on local and state ballots for an up or down vote by the people. We worked hard to outlaw gill nets in Florida. It was one person, one vote for that issue.

WD Curry 111 profile image61

WD Curry 111 says

Chris Hugh 4 years ago

Hey, how do you get a picture to show up in your comment?