breathe2travel profile image 85

Justice Roberts: not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices

“The mandate's unconstitutional, but the court has decided it's a tax, and therefore it's okay. So Obamacare is nothing more than the largest tax increase in the history of the world. The chief justice of the United States Supreme Court, John Roberts, said, 'It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.' What are your thoughts on Justice Roberts' comment?

Ms Dee profile image85

Best Answer Deidre Shelden (Ms Dee) says

Rock_nj profile image90

John Coviello (Rock_nj) says

My Esoteric profile image88

My Esoteric says

• breathe2travel profile image

breathe2travel 5 years ago

I find it ironic that President Obama insisted this measure was not a tax -- and yet, the Court declares it is a tax, which protects the "nontax" measure.

Wayne Brown profile image88

Wayne Brown says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 5 years ago

Yes and no. He was very clear that using the Commerce Clause and the Necessary and Proper Clauses of Article 1 were stretched beyond the Founders intentions on limits on Congress. But, he did not find that true in the argument that Congress can tax