My Esoteric profile image 89

Is or Has America been an Imperialist Power?

Without defining what "imperialism" is, I throw this question out here 1) to see what responses I get and 2) to remind me to write a hub about it. I just finished listening to a rather interesting lecture on the subject and it got me curious.

mio cid profile image65

Best Answer mio cid says

Reality Bytes profile image89

Reality Bytes says

ptosis profile image76

ptosis says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 5 years ago

That idea, Ptosis, was mentioned in the lecture. The theory is that all soveriegn nations are imperialistic by that definition. For in order to survive, they must have the right to make war in order to expand or be vanquished.

jo miller profile image84

Jo Miller says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 5 years ago

Great map, Junkseller. Yes, that is one definition of imperialism mentioned in the lecture, but not all of them by far. The professor might ask you to compare and contrast that to English imperialism of the 1800s.

Credence2 profile image87

Credence2 says

Old Empresario says