My Esoteric profile image 92

Is or Has America been an Imperialist Power?

Without defining what "imperialism" is, I throw this question out here 1) to see what responses I get and 2) to remind me to write a hub about it. I just finished listening to a rather interesting lecture on the subject and it got me curious.

mio cid profile image43

Best Answer mio cid says

Reality Bytes profile image84

Reality Bytes says

ptosis profile image71

ptosis says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 5 years ago

That idea, Ptosis, was mentioned in the lecture. The theory is that all soveriegn nations are imperialistic by that definition. For in order to survive, they must have the right to make war in order to expand or be vanquished.

jo miller profile image92

Jo Miller says

Credence2 profile image82

Credence2 says

• My Esoteric profile image

My Esoteric 5 years ago

Great map, Junkseller. Yes, that is one definition of imperialism mentioned in the lecture, but not all of them by far. The professor might ask you to compare and contrast that to English imperialism of the 1800s.

Old Empresario says