xstatic profile image 60

Is it time that the United States reinstituted a military draft?

Is it fair for the men and women who enlist in the military to be subjected to combat tours again and again, to be deployed abroad so often? If we had a draft today, would it have to include women? Should deferments for college or anything else be allowed? Should some other form of National Service be an option? I doubt if any of the above will happen. I was drafted and did not like the Army, but was not deployed abroad. I can't help thinking about the high rate of suicides in our armed forces, and it seems that multiple deployments to combat zones play a big part in that. Any thoughts?

dahoglund profile image82

Best Answer Don A. Hoglund (dahoglund) says

• xstatic profile image

Jim Higgins (xstatic) 4 years ago

Your feelings are as mixed as my own. Thanks for answering.

TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93

TIMETRAVELER2 says

• xstatic profile image

Jim Higgins (xstatic) 4 years ago

Good question. We have these cycles, it seems, of wars and other military adventures and I hate to think of reservists being called up again for more deployments. I really hope the question is moot, and we can stay out of armed conflict a long time.

• xstatic profile image

Jim Higgins (xstatic) 4 years ago

True. If the sons and daughters of more affluent citizens had been sent into Iraq, that war would not have lasted so long. I am not in favor of a draft, it is the lack of jobs for lower income people that feeds the military, as you say.

Aley Martin profile image85

Alice Lee Martin (Aley Martin) says

Goody5 profile image84

Goody5 says

ReneeDC1979 profile image60

Renee' D. Campbell (ReneeDC1979) says

• xstatic profile image

Jim Higgins (xstatic) 4 years ago

Discipline might be aproblem for that kind of recrruit, but it would help them if they lived through it.

Admiral Murrah profile image83

Admiral Murrah says

By Lori profile image59

By Lori says

• ptosis profile image

ptosis 4 years ago

Also all the debris was shipped to China instead of shifted through for years by the FAA as in all other plane crashes.

Uninvited Writer profile image81

Susan Keeping (Uninvited Writer) says

• xstatic profile image

Jim Higgins (xstatic) 4 years ago

Amd I hope it stays that way, but we have had many undeclared wars, more than those declared in the twentieth century. I am not advocating a draft. The question occurred to me after reading about high suicide rates among our troops.