Express10 profile image 88

Do you think selfishness is more often a vice or virtue?

For example, if you were on a plane, would you risk blacking out to put an oxygen mask on your neighbor before putting one on yourself (what use would you be to others if you were blacked out in an emergency)? If you are poor, do you give every last dime to charity, rob a bank, or be prudent with what you have while working towards balance or abundance? In some situations selfishness can bring benefits to you that can actually be used to help others. In other situations it can only bring grief. Many people believe that selfishness is a good thing and vice versa. What is your belief?

cat on a soapbox profile image82

Best Answer Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

Zubair Ahmed profile image77

Zubair Ahmed says

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 4 years ago

When I was in high school, I didn't even see half of the nonsense I see around me now. So little respect and consideration only serves to anger and divide people.

ahorseback profile image47

ahorseback says

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 4 years ago

I dislike when I come across people who are very self centered as well. It is a large and unfortunate part of our culture. On the flip side, I don't see valid reason for people to be overly kind and giving when they are being used or abused.

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 4 years ago

I agree that having a kind heart and compassion for your fellow man is a virtue and also think it's fine in a small number of situations to focus on your needs first to then be able to better help those around you.