SEXYLADYDEE profile image 72

Have we become a Nation of desensitized people?

There have been so many shootings of the innocent in the past year most of us are no longer surprised to hear about another one happening. Why did this one in Newtown, CT touch the hearts of our Nation and world? Was it because children were involved, or that elementary school is supposed to be safe? As a New Yorker I felt for Katrina Victims but even though Sandy didn't destroy my home I am devastated for the victims. Why do we feel differently about different situations?

safiq ali patel profile image74

safiq ali patel says

• SEXYLADYDEE profile image

SEXYLADYDEE 4 years ago

After watching the news all day lat Friday and not learning the truth until around 3-4pm I couldn't stop the tears or my sorrow. My grandson is 4 I don't know if I could go on without him. So yes some of us feel more & some don't seem to feel at

eternals3ptember profile image60

Col. Duke LaCross (...Okay, maybe I lied) (eternals3ptember) says

• SEXYLADYDEE profile image

SEXYLADYDEE 4 years ago

Being sympathetic to every disaster might lead one to shut down. While training to be a drug counselor we were taught to empathize with our clients and their situations. We would become ineffectual if we allowed ourselves to drown in their sorrows.

Justsilvie says

• SEXYLADYDEE profile image

SEXYLADYDEE 4 years ago

I have worked with a few sociopaths and I do believe that there is some defect that causes some people to be born without it. Their lives must be so empty to have to pretend to have what they can never feel. Dee