How would you feel if your name and address were published online because you own a gun? While many gun owners' info ends up on lists that can be viewed by the public, do you disagree with making this info as easily accessible as possible by for instance, removing the trip to a courthouse to request the info in many areas or by putting it all online or in a newspaper? Is going this extra step, good, bad or ugly in your opinion?
sort by best latest
Whether home or not, the list could tempt some to burglarize and steal them. Cops were included on the list @ lohud.com. The most helpful list would be names and addresses of illegal gun owners handed to police and ATF.
Advertising legal gun owners is the same lame harassment levied by our government in the same way they advertise those who oppose same sex marriage. Publicizing the names of those who oppose gay marriage and foolish gun control laws is a deterrant.
I'm glad the paper's staff was outed at http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/page/2/
I find it hilarious that the editor's FB & Twitter are suddenly private or unavailable. Being "outed" as she did to others doesn't feel good does it?
I am happy that a blogger posted the names and addresses of those working at that newspaper. Perhaps they'll get a taste of what it feels like to be exposed for no valid reason.
The data-base is to help the government develop a plan and to save time when they begin kicking in doors of honest citizens and confiscating guns through force. They don't care about the 1% of criminals...they want to control the other 99% of us.
I agree and think that going the extra mile to remove the step of going to the courthouse to see in person is not a good idea. There's always lists, and some can be compromised but let's not hand it out like free candy to kids on Halloween.
Then why in Washington D.C., where we have some of the strictest gun laws, do we have the highest crime rates including homicide? Making gun's illegal and disarming law abiding citizens would stop guns like it stopped alcohol during Prohibition.
I disagree MickS. If not for a gun my father would not have been able to shoot a burglar, save his family (including me), and hold the POS for the cops who arrived much to late to do anything. Criminals always get guns regardless of laws.
That is nonsensense. There are undesirables in every society, making guns less accesible will stem their use.
Criminals always get their hands on guns because they don't follow or care about laws and harm those who aren't armed.
MickS, as per my previous comment, what are your answers?
There are no answers Mitch. I'm from the UK, we have probably the strictist gun laws around, The chances of getting shot are almost nil. 2011 only 550 murders here, compared with USA, 12664 of them, 8583 shootings. the figures speak for themselves.
It would be nice if the current laws were enforced. There are over 20,000 gun laws in the US that do not keep guns out of criminals' and crazies' hands. Responsible, law abiding citizens shouldn't be harassed or have their rights altered/taken away.