Billie Kelpin profile image 90

Why is does the whole human race seem so darn cheap ?

Did marketers do this to us? the economy? Was it always this way? My parents didn't seem to be this way. They never expected to get something for nothing. We lived in an apartment. My father had no assets really, but yet he had the mentality (and I'd say morality) of paying the price that something was worth to him. My parents raised me to feel that if I didn't pay for what something was worth, I was being unethical. I value this quality they taught very highly and it drives me a bit crazy that everyone is always looking for something on sale. Does anyone feel the same?

Becky Katz profile image86

Becky Katz says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

so true, so true. "now it is to get by" So really, what I think I object to is not bargains, per se, but the social structure that has people at the bottom and middle trying to "just get by"."What the market will bear" has gone all wonky.

cebutouristspot profile image74

cebutouristspot says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

good point: "what something is worth" - I, too, like sales. I'm not explaining myself very well n maybe I don't even understand what it is that bothers me. (not unusual for me:) Thanks C (My Realtor/friend is frm the Philippines-goes back and forth

michiganman567 profile image87

michiganman567 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

MM, That's what I meant about paying for what something is worth. One time, I tipped a taxi cab driver in NY and my relative looked at the amount and said it was too much and took the money out of my hand! We need to appreciate others' work!

Billie Kelpin profile image90

Billie Kelpin says

• dashingscorpio profile image

dashingscorpio 4 years ago

I believe a lot of consumers are use to the apps being sold to Apple or some other manufacturer and they in turn bundle it with their products. Essentially the consumer is not your customer. Having said that there are some apps people do buy.

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

You hit on an important point, D. It's the "negotiating" I hate .Maybe it's a taboo passed on frm my parents. I wonder if generations back, my father came from wealth. My Aunt says my parents never had money 'cuz my dad would only eat Gr Giant peas

Barbara Kay profile image86

Barbara Kay Badder (Barbara Kay) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

I guess sales weren't what I meant exactly, but even in my own business, I have to say something is worth $39.95 and put it "on sale" for $19.95! Human nature, I guess

Sri T profile image81

Sri T (the mystic) (Sri T) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

I TOTALLY agree, couldn't agree more. I heard a woman author on npr who studied people as they rise to power and found that empathy lessens as the rise to power increases. The inability to relate when we have achieved money is behind greed, I think

C.V.Rajan profile image68

Disillusioned (C.V.Rajan) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

ah...branding - the other end of this whole conversation! I agree. It's all a smoke and mirrors kind of market, isn't it?

Borsia profile image62

Borsia says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Interesting. My father earned $140 a month. I remember that because our rent was $70 and a 2 wk. vacation up North was $70. In spite of little money left, he bought quality "everything"-my doll buggy, ice skates, best cuts of meat, tools, cars...

Eli Moore says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

like the coal miners of Appalachia at the turn of the century who defended the company store while the "company" owned their souls. However, it's always been liberals, in my view, who are the environmentalists, the champions of the under class, etc.

Desmith3 profile image80

Dwayne Smith (Desmith3) says

CalebSparks says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

You have a really important point, Caleb, "...especially when the cheater is in an authority position over the one cheated." Also injustice to unskilled workers as well is really important issue. I participate-we all do..wish we didn't have to.