cam8510 profile image 93

Should government inspire loyalty, freedom or dependence in citizens?

It seems to me that my personal attitude toward government and the attitude toward government which that government itself attempts to instill in me, should be one and the same. Which is most fitting for men of all nations? Is it most appropriate that they be inspired to loyalty toward their government, that they be inspired to live in freedom, with as little government interference as possible, or that they be inspired to be increasingly dependent on government?

Epleeba1 profile image76

Best Answer Epleeba1 says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

Excellent input Epleeba1.

Becky Katz profile image86

Becky Katz says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

Becky, things do seem to be a bit upside down at the moment in the political arena.

brblog profile image88

Bruce (brblog) says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

I agree brblog. The first two parts are obvious. Loyalty and freedom are a part of being a citizen in some countries. Dependence is the scary one. We depend on govt to protect us, build and maintain roads etc, but it can become a control tool.

Levellandmike profile image83

Mike Simmons (Levellandmike) says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

L&M, great comment. I fully agree with you about freedom. As for a hub, I'll watch for it. "Someone" may have an interesting hub out there already. Thanks for the thoughts.

swordsbane profile image60

William Grant (swordsbane) says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

Well said, swords bane. Thank you.

someonewhoknows profile image31

someonewhoknows says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 3 years ago

swk, I was impressed by one thing in particular. You placed responsibility for free society on the people. When there is a vacuum of social responsibility, every bad thing will try to creep in and take control, and they come from both parties.