Dying for a country comes in times of war. With wars not so frequent nowadays, contributing something for the nation either by serving people or at least working within the country and contributing for its economy itself will be sign of patriotism.
- having a basic love for your mother country
- having some amount of pride in its civilization, culture, religious and spiritual greatness
- accepting the weaknesses within the country (corruption, reservation, uncleanliness, power cuts etc) and not running away from the country to work abroad
- not hankering over green card and duel citizenship etc
- not blindly mimicking the western culture
- not admiring people who earn in dollars
- contributing anything, even minimal to preserve the country's culture, heritage, people's wellness etc
- contributing financially or physically in times of national calamities (floods, draught etc)
All these too are show of patriotism according to me.