KU37 profile image 79

Is the right to laugh and joke a basic human right?

I love laughing at jokes, and I've always had a good sense of humor. Other people I know are more serious-minded, and some of them get easily offended. Do I have the universal right to make any joke I want? Does it depend on the kind of joke? What if I'm making fun of something? Does it depend on who might hear the joke? Should I be required to educate myself ("sensitivity training") before making a joke that might offend someone? Is joking considered protected speech legally in the US? In other countries? On the internet?

KU37 profile image79

KU37 says

• KU37 profile image

KU37 2 years ago

A supporter of Charlie Hebdo pointed out that people laughed at Charlie's cartoons for many reasons: to insult, to denigrate, or to exclude. That supporter explained that he laughed to integrate, and to show Muslims they are part of a free society.

Austinstar profile image79

Austinstar says

• KU37 profile image

KU37 2 years ago

I was that 10 year old boy. Learning about jokes and riddles was a crucial part of my intellectual growth. Some people (I'm thinking talk radio) don't seem to have matured as you describe. Thank you.