No, they should not be required to pass a civics exam. However, anyone who does vote in presidential or state elections should have their head examined . For nearly 250 years the vote has mattered very little. If things haven't gone from bad to worse, then they have certainly gone from bad to bad. A lateral move isn't worth the time and effort.
1. Women are still getting paid less than men
2. Sexual violence is still a major issue
3. the environment is nearly ruined
4. Racism is alive and well
5. The police state is a reality
6. The groundwater and the food are toxic and filled with cancerous agents.
7.Soon drones will pepper the sky with the all seeing eye.
8. 40,000 die annually in MVC's and they're still making cars.
9. Capitalism still only works for a small percentage of citizens.
10. The recent border controversy indicates that many white people are still circling the wagons.
If you are not voting for yourself, every vote is a wasted vote.