Yashikasmith profile image 60

Is there really a stigma associated with African American males that portrays them as monsters?

After all of the shootings/deaths of African American males all over the country with the majority of them being unarmed,I am just wondering if they are really perceived as a threat and if that's the case, why? Is it the language? the way they dress? OR is it their posture? I genuinely would like to know what it is that causes them to be perceived as a threat because I have an African American son and I really do worry about his teen-aged years and how to educate him so that a childish mistake doesn't end up costing him his life.

SylviaSky profile image92

Best Answer SylviaSky says

• Yashikasmith profile image

Yashika Smith (Yashikasmith) 14 months ago

Thank you for your honesty, Sylvia.

I concur with all that you said and sadly it is oppression but this is where we are as a country right now and it makes me cringe because my son is growing up in such an era.

savvydating profile image97

Yves (savvydating) says

• Yashikasmith profile image

My question was not related to black on black crime; I am well aware of that issue. My point is: I have seen several instances where all of the risks that you stated above have been taken by non minority individuals and the outcome was not fatal.

gmwilliams profile image86

Grace Marguerite Williams (gmwilliams) says

• Yashikasmith profile image

No, not all are depicted negatively but the majority are. As an individual that works closely with youth, I can attest that a lot of young, intelligent African American men are growing up in the "hood". Children "absorb" that's just what they do.