kbdressman profile image 93

How do you think Fidel Castro's death will effect future relations between Cuba and the US?

According to the BBC, Raúl Castro, Fidel's brother and the President of Cuba, confirmed that Fidel had died just after midnight. 'The commander in chief of the Cuban revolution died at 22:29 hours this evening (03:29 GMT Saturday),' President Raul Castro said." Earlier this year, Fidel Castro was critical of President Obama's visit to Cuba and the restoration of diplomatic relations between Cuba and the United States. What effect, if any do you foresee Castro's death having on the relations between the two countries?

• kbdressman profile image

kbdressman 11 months ago

While I agree that we shouldn't turn a blind eye to human rights violations, I think it's time for us to realize that those who committed those atrocities are dead and that a hand of fellowship might go farther than the embargo at this point!

PeterStip profile image72

PeterStip says

• kbdressman profile image

kbdressman 11 months ago

A statesman Trump is not. He's embarrassing. And I agree that we need to stop punishing the Cuban people for things that previous government powers did and stop trying to run other countries!

Tusitala Tom profile image62

Tom Ware (Tusitala Tom) says

• kbdressman profile image

kbdressman 11 months ago

Unfortunately, we do still have Guantanamo bay. That in and of itself is a whole can of worms that I hope is soon part of history instead of current affairs. I hope you're right and that we see a lot of forgiving and forgetting as we move forward!