ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Applying for the Point-Based (F-2-7) Residency Visa in South Korea

Updated on July 22, 2014

Applying for Residency in South Korea

Some foreigners who decide to live in South Korea in the midterm, about three to five years, may be looking to change their current work visa. It would be easy just to marry a Korean man or woman and then apply for a marriage visa in order to stay in the country longer; but most people may not have that option available to them. For the last few years, the South Korean government created a point-based visa for foreign nationals who are interested in applying for residency in South Korea. Here are some things that will be addressed about this visa:

Who can qualify?

What are the advantages of obtaining it?

What is the breakdown of points?

How can someone lose points?

All of the information provide is accurate as of May 1st, 2013.

Who qualifies for the F-2-7 Visa?

You must have held one of the following visas for at least one full year:

E-1 Professorship

E-2 Foreign Language Instructor

E-3 Research

E-4 Technology Transfer

E-5 Professional Employment

*E-6 Arts & Performances

E-7 Special Occupation

**D-2 Study Abroad

D-5 Journalism

D-6 Religious Affairs

D-7 Supervisory Intra-Company Transfer

D-8 Corporate Investment

D-9 Trade Management

**D-10 Jobs Seeking

*If you are on an E-6 visa, but work in a hotel and adult entertainment establishment as an entertainer, South Korean immigration does not consider it as professional labor.

**For those who have a D-2 or D-10 visa, those who have an advanced degree (master's degree and higher) and can get confirmation about doing jobs from domestic companies are considered as professional labor.

Advantages of the F-2-7

So, what are some of the benefits for owning an F2-7 visa:

*You own your visa, not your boss.

*You can apply for non-teaching jobs.

*You are eligible to apply for permanent residency (F-5) after three years of holding an F2-7 visa.

*Less paperwork when applying for another job.

*You don't have to leave the country in-between contracts.

What is the breakdown of points?

To receive the F-2-7 visa, an applicant must get 80 out of a possible 120 points. 90 of the 120 points come from standardized category, while the remaining 30 points are from extra points applicant can get.

Standardized Criteria:

Age (25 point max)

Education (35 point max)

Korean Language (20 point max)

Current Income (10 point max)

Extra Points:

Korean Social and Integration Program (10 point max)

Annual Income Tax Payment Report (5 point max)

Study Abroad Experience in South Korea (5 point max)

Domestic Volunteer Experience (5 point max)

Professional Experience Abroad (5 point max)

So, here is how the points for each category breaks down to:


Age 18-24: 20 points

Age 25-29: 23 points

Age 30-34: 25 points

Age 35-39: 23 points

Age 40-44: 20 points

Age 45-50: 18 points

Age 51 or older: 15 points

Level of Education:

Doctorate Degree

Science and Engineering/you need 2 or more degrees for other (Arts, Humanities) majors: 35 points

Arts and Humanities: 33 points

Master's Degree

Science and Engineering/you need 2 or more degrees for other (Arts, Humanities) majors: 32 points

Arts and Humanities: 30 points

Bachelor's Degree

Science and Engineering/you need 2 or more degrees for other (Arts, Humanities) majors: 28 points

Arts and Humanities: 26 points

Associate Degree

Science and Engineering/you need 2 or more degrees for other (Arts, Humanities) majors: 25 points

Arts and Humanities: 23 points

High School: 15 points

Korean Language Ability:

*Grade 6: 20 points

*Grade 5: 18 points

*Grade 4: 16 points

*Grade 3: 14 points

*Grade 2: 12 points

*Grade 1: 10 points

*Based on the Standard-Test of Proficiency in Korean (S-TOPIK) report card

Current Income Level:

100 million won or more: 10 points

90 million won - 100 million won: 9 points

80 million won - 90 million won: 8 points

70 million won - 80 million won: 7 points

60 million won - 70 million won: 6 points

50 million won - 60 million won: 5 points

40 million won - 50 million won: 4 points

30 million won - 40 million won: 3 points

20 million won - 30 million won: 2 points

20 million won or less: 1 point

For the extra points...

Korean Social and Integration Program: 10 points

Income Tax Report:

500 million won or more: 5 points

400 million won - 500 million won: 4 points

300 million won - 400 million won: 3 points

200 million won - 300 million won: 2 points

Less than 100 million won - 200 million won: 1 point

Study Abroad Experience in South Korea:

Doctorate Degree: 5 points

Master's Degree: 4 points

Bachelors Degree: 3 points

Associate Degree: 2 points

*Korean Language Training: 1 point

*Must have been taken at a university Korean language program.

Domestic Volunteer Experience:

Three years or more: 5 points

Two to three years: 3 points

More than one year/Less than two years: 1 point

*Professional Experience Abroad:

Three years or more: 5 points

Two to three years: 3 points

More than one year/Less than two years: 1 point

*Must get a certificate of your professional work experience from the company owner or CEO.

How can someone lose points?

A person can lose points based on:

**Illegal stays within the country

-1: Among accompanied family members or invitees, one is a current illegal immigrant + A person who has departed the ROK after 3 months of illegal staying in the Republic of Korea within the past two years.

**Punishments including fines

For applicants

-3: Violated Korean laws twice or fine is combined total 300 million won or more.

-2: Violated Korean laws once and fine is more than 100 million won, but less than 300 million won.

-1: Violated Korean laws once and fine is less than 100 million won.

For accompanied family or invitee

-1: Violated Korean laws twice or fine is combined total 300 million won or more

Useful Links

For information about the Social Integration Program: (Site is in Korean)

For information about TOPIK: (Site is in Korean, English, Mandarin, and Japanese)

For information regarding immigration regulations and policies:

For information about visas and application process:


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)