Are Machines Taking Over Jobs? Could a Robot take over YOUR Job?
Could Machines be partially responsible for the unemployment rates?
As I go through a normal day I experience machines more and more. And I'm not really sure if I like it. The more machines I see, the less humans I see as well.
For example, It used to be when I went to the grocery store on a busy Saturday there would be about 10 cashiers ready to assist the customers. Now You will see maybe 4 or 5 cashiers and 4 or 5 machines that are called self service. Yes it is convenient to ring myself up, but I have to wonder does this mean someone lost their job because they were no longer needed? Perhaps a single Mom or Dad?
Have you noticed all those Red Boxes everywhere? You can get a DVD for 99 cents and never have to deal with a human. Do you think that could be the reason Hollywood Video and Blockbuster went out of business? How many thousands of people are losing their jobs because other humans would rather deal with a machine? I really would like to know.
I Don't Want to Talk To A Machine When I Need Help!
Many companies no longer have operators or secretaries answer their phones. When people call the phone company or a credit card company it is almost impossible to get a human person. Now you get to talk to a machine that can assist you or worse yet, you may get someone who isn't even in your country. You get someone who is reading from a script and is to me even worse than dealing with a machine because they seem robotic. But again more lost jobs for Americans. Jobs lost to outsourcing or Machines.
This didn't happen overnight. It started years ago when self service gas stations started to appear and then shortly after that ATM's started to appear.
I'm not knocking technology but I am really a little bit scared that the greed of people and companies could really cause more and more unemployment. I also have no idea if there is a solution. It is all a little scary!
Examples of Jobs Lost To Robots
I wanted to create a list of some of the jobs that have been lost to robots over the years. I will continue to add to the list as I think of more. Feel free to leave me some examples in the comment section below and I will add them to my list.
- No more full service gas stations. (Although I think they still may have a few in New Jersey}.
- Bank Machines replace the jobs of bank tellers. Now when you walk in a bank, you will only see a few humans.
- Robot answer phones when you call a company or worse yet you get someone from another country who speaks terrible English. This is almost worse is you really need help. Please for the love of God USA, stop outsourcing jobs.
- No more video stores. Okay, I know I talked about this above, but really it is pretty sad.
- And soon, there will not be music stores as people now download their music online.
- Retail Workers. Okay, I know there are still many big box stores like Walmart. But have you noticed that there are many malls across America that are gone and storefronts that are closed over. People buy more online than ever before. And this causes retail workers to find it harder to find a job.
Are you concerned about how machines seem to be taking over?
Is there hope for the future?
I find myself worried at times at where we are going? What will happen when we no longer need humans to do the work? It has been said by many that the computers and machines will need humans for programming and up keep, but don't you think maybe a robot could be programmed for that as well?
I don't know. It is all pretty scary to me. I get a little weirded out when I think about it. A suppose all we can do is hope that our kids, grand kids, and great grand kids will figure it out. I pray for the future of our world.