- Politics and Social Issues
Michele Bachmann's Political Views
A divisive figure who is currently represents Minnesota's 6th Congressional District (but is planning to retire when her term ends in 2014), Michele Bachmann was one of many candidates competing for the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination before she dropped out of the race on January 4, 2012 after a poor showing in the Iowa Caucuses. In the past, she has garnered as much (if not more) media attention for her controversial statements to the press (as long as her leading role in the "Tea Party" movement) as she has for her actual political and bill passing activities. Could her retirement be an attempt to prepare for the GOP nomination for president in 2016? his hub will attempt to take an unbiased look at what Michele Bachmann's political views really are to get past the hype and lay out where Congresswoman Bachmann stands on the issues.
Views on the Issues
1. Federal Deficit: Congresswoman Bachmann has been a strong advocate for reducing the federal deficit based on reductions in federal spending. She has repeatedly called for reductions in federal spending for a variety of programs as the best solution to the problem of the federal deficit. She has also repeatedly condemned any increase in taxes as a possible solution to the deficit, including reinstating the estate tax or letting the tax cuts passed by President Bush expire. As she told reports in late 2010, "I don’t think letting people keep their own money should be considered a deficit." This position goes against that of most independent economists, who believe that a combination of tax increases and spending reductions are necessary to permanently solve the federal deficit. Bacmann has also expressed for a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget.
2. Health Care Reform: Bachmann has been a consistent and vocal critic of the Health Care reform bill passed by Congress and signed by President Obama in 2010. Bachmann was one of the politicians responsible for spreading the (false) rumor that the Health Care Reform bill would create "death panels" responsible for making decisions about the medical care of individual seniors. Bachmann has advocated for de-regulation of the medical industry as a solution to rising medical costs, calling for a combination of competition, tort reform, and increased use of health savings accounts as a solution to provide greater and cheaper coverage to most Americans. Bachmann has also called for a phasing out of Medicare, stating in a speech in late 2010, "what basically what we have to do is wean everybody else off. And wean everybody off because we have to take those unfunded net liabilities off our bank sheet, we can’t do it."
3. Fiscal Crisis/Financial Reform: Bachmann has called for the repealing of the Dodd-Frank reform bill intended to better regulate the banks and prevent a repeat of the 2008-2009 fiscal crisis that plunged the United States into recession. She has stated that the bill "grossly expanded the federal government beyond its jurisdictional boundaries." Bachmann also opposed the bailouts of banks and various companies that occurred in 2008 as the financial crisis was at its height.
4. War on Terrorism: Bachmann has generally supported the actions of President Bush and President Obama in fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. In early 2011 she voted for the renewal of the Patriot Act. She also received some criticism in January 2011 for releasing a budget plan that would freeze all federal spending at current levels, including spending for veterans benefits (which have been rapidly rising due to the ongoing wars as well as general increases in health care costs).
5. Education: Bachmann has generally been opposed to federal government involvement in local schools, stating in an interview in March 2011, "I would prefer to see the Federal Department of Education abolished and done away with, and instead I’d rather see parents and states keep the monies that are sent to Washington, D.C." Bachmann also supports the teaching of intelligent design in public school classrooms, having told an audience in 2006, there is a controversy among scientists about whether evolution is a fact or not.... There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design.
6. Global Warming/Energy Issues: Bachmann has repeatedly questioned global warming, telling a reporter in 2008, The big thing we are working on now is the global warming hoax. It's all voodoo, nonsense, hokum, a hoax." Clarifying further, she stated that "Carbon dioxide is not a harmful gas, it is a harmless gas. Carbon dioxide is natural; it is not harmful.... We're being told we have to reduce this natural substance to create an arbitrary reduction in something that is naturally occurring in the earth."
7. Social Issues: Bachmann has repeatedly called for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. In 2007, she voted against a bill that would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. Bachmann is also strongly anti-abortion, having backed various bill that would ban abortions in all cases except rape and incest while servicing as a Minnesota state representative.
More Political Hubs!
- Republican Presidential Candidates 2016
Now that Mitt has lost, who will the Republicans nominate as their presidential candidate in the next election? A look at the potential nominees for President in 2016 - will it be Christie, Rubio, Ryan, or someone else?
- Paul Ryan's Political Views
A look at the political views of Congressman (and former Vice Presidential Candidate) Paul Ryan. Could he make his own run at the White House in 2016?
- Ted Cruz's Political Views
Curious about the political views of Texas Senator Ted Cruz? This hub provides an unbiased look at the rising conservative star. Could he run for President in 2016?
- Barack Obama's Political Views
A look at President Obama's political views.
- Mitt Romney's Political Views
A look at the political views of former Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney.
- Rick Perry's Political Views
An unbiased look at current Texas governor Ricky Perry's political views.
- Rick Santorum's Political Views
The socially conservative alternative to Bachmann?
- The Best Political Blogs on the Web
Want to know more about politics? Keep up on the latest political news from these great sources!
- Federal Budget Deficit Explained
One of Congresswoman Bachmann's consistent areas of focus has been reducing the federal budget deficit. Is her description of the problem realistic? Find out more here!