- Politics and Social Issues
Bottled Water Vs Tap Water
Is Bottled Water Ruining the Earth or is Tap Water Just Plain Vile?
Bottled Water vs Tap Water
Bottled water. Sounds clean, refreshing, and much better than the alternative coming from those old underground pipes, don't you think? You may want to think twice before you buy that mega economy pack of single serve Poland Springs water bottles. The facts are piling up in favor of tap water. Turns out it just might be a myth that's been marketed towards consumers that bottled water is cleaner. Here we'll add up some of the facts and let readers write in with their own responses.
The Facts Are Piling Up Against Bottled Water - Waste, Contaminants & Wasted Money
Here are some articles worth reading about bottled water testing and the impact bottled water has on our environment.
- Bottled Water Hurting the Environment
Between 1978 and 2006, the consumption of bottled water in America went up 2,000 percent, with about 700 name brands of water battling for shelf space.
- Bottled Water No Better than Tap?
How safe is tap water? Find out!
- Bottle This!
"There's been a major public relations campaign launched to convince the people that bottled water is safer, and better, and purer than tap water; what our study found is: it ain't necessarily so."
- Even Fox News agrees, Bottled Water Stinks.
Bottled Water as Polluted as Tap Water
- The True Cost of Bottled Water
The true cost of bottled water: resources, cash and energy.
Facing the Truth About Bottled Water
Why these convenient bottles aren't so pure
It's hard to remember the day that bottled water wasn't popular, but it wasn't too long ago. However, bottled water had a huge marketing push and enjoyed huge growth in the last ten years, not to mention huge growth in landfills. Over 22 billion bottles of water were thrown away just in 2007.
Some of the Facts About Bottled Water
- It isn't held to the same testing standards in some areas as tap water.
- When heated, water bottles can leach BPA into the water.
- Bottled water is often tap water! There's a difference between "filtered water" and "natural spring water." Natural spring water=from an actual spring. You'll find filtered water on the market for just as much as spring water, which is really just filtered tap water. Dasani and Aquafina are two "filtered water" products.
- Treehugger.com (see the article above) estimates that bottled water uses 6x the amount of water actually in the bottle to produce it! What a waste!
- Another fact from Treehugger: bottled water production uses large amount of oil to produce the bottle.
- Transporting the empty bottles to their filling destinations uses energy and releases harmful emissions. Then, transporting the heavy filled bottles uses even more energy. Just so you can twist the cap for some filtered tap water!
If you do drink bottled water, do you recycle the bottles?
If you do, you're in the minority. Sadly only 20% of consumers recycle the bottles. The other 80% throw them away. These bottles will take hundreds to thousands of years to decompose in a landfill and we're running out of room.
Tossed to the Curb: Water Bottle Waste Picture by Dsw4
Defend your Side! Love Bottled Water or Hate It? - Tell the world what you think about bottled water and tap water!
The facts are in! And you've made your decision. So tell us...
Are you a bottled water person or tap water person?
Tap water, it's sensible, healthier and better for the environment!
Bottled Water Poll
Which kind of water do you drink?
Protect the environment! Don't buy bottled water of any type.
Brita Water Filters on Amazon - Make your Tap Water Taste Just Like Bottled
The removal of some minerals is the taste that bottled waters in some cases have. You can remove the minerals yourself by using tap water filters and you won't be wasting all of the bottles (or putting the strain on the environment!).
What Tap Water filter do i use?
I use PUR filters and the long fridge-friendly water unit. I'm very happy with it, though I'll offer this advice: buy two, and buy the filters in bulk! They're cheaper that way, and you'll never run out of cold water.
PUR Water Filters on Amazon - Easy Filtration for Tap Water
PUR makes an easy to use water filter that's highly recommend from users. The replacement filters are also sold everywhere.
Entirely Chemical Free Stainless Steel Water Bottles from Chartreuse
These Cool Reusable Water Bottles
are available from Chartreuse Products here!
- Chartreuse Products
Start shopping for eco chic, unique products with Chartreuese! From organic all purpose cleaner to biodegradable trash bags to cool (and safe) stainless steel water bottles!
- Green Living Tips
Start your path to greenness on the right foot by reading these simple to use tips on a greener life!
Cool reusable bags from EcoGreenBags! Find trendy canvas cotton grocery bags and much more.