30 Easy Green Tips
30 Green Tips, Short and to the Point!
If you've decided to go green, you can never have too many tips on being greener. That's why I've compiled 30 green tips from my Green Tip of the Day posts on Twitter. Follow me and you can stay updated every day!
Read on and you can find useful tips to make your home more efficient, use less energy, conserve more, recycle more, and reuse more things in your life.
Photo by Kimberly Faye
Eco friendly tips to get you going quick!
1. Invest in a reusable bamboo utensil travel set & eliminate the use of plasticware when at work, on the road or traveling.
2. Make a resolution to conserve more water.
3. Bring your used (burnt out) CFL bulbs to Lowe's or Ikea to properly dispose of them.
4. Replace toxic home cleaners with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. Or use another organic all natural cleaner!
5. Try to use major appliances (washer, dryer, disher washer, etc.) during off peak hours to save some money!
6. Reduce use of plastic&paper bags by using reusable totes.Most stores give a credit! Great designs at EcoGreenBags.com.
7. Share a magazine subscription with a friend, not only will you share the cost but you will cut down on the amount of trees used!
8. Keep a beautiful cactus nearby in your office to freshen the air as you work. Read this article by The Daily Green.
9. Donate your old towels to a local animal shelter,clear room in the house & give a furry friend a soft place to rest
10. Save trees & reduce unwanted junk mail by visiting catalogchoice.org to eliminate those unwanted catalogs.
11. Reuse as much as possible to lessen your environmental impact. Recycling is great, but reusing is better!
12. When painting in your house ensure proper disposal of the remaining paint
13. When bringing your lunch to work, use tupperware or reusable containers instead of plastic and paper bags.
14. To reduce wasted energy, be sure to unplug appliances, such as your computer, and power strips when not in use.
15. Save your old coffee grinds and reuse them for great fertilizer for indoor and outdoor plants!
16. Save money and electricty by turning your heat down a few degrees. Your heating bill will thank you too :)
17. When you stop for coffee in the morning bring a resuable mug from home, refills are cheaper & no trash to throw away!
18. Instead of using plastic bags for produce try reusable bags-they are better for the environment & keep produce fresher.
19. Wash your clothes with cold water rather than warm or hot water to save electricty & money on your electric bill.
20. This winter instead of salt which could kill grass &shrubs use Earth Friendly de-icer.
21. Think before you print your emails and attachments, we can save trees by only printing out necessary documents!
22. Make your own birdfeeder with natural components of pinecones, peanut butter & bird seed.
23. Request e-statements for bills instead of paper statements to save trees and never worry about a lost bill in the mail.
24. Invest in an energy audit of your home. For minimal cost you can get tips on where you could become more efficient in your home.
25. To save energy, keep your freezer and fridge well stocked with food, as the food will help retain the cooler temps!
26. When buying recycled paper ensure that it is 100% Post consumer recycled paper, as that is truly recycled paper!
27. Instead of throwing away catalogs that you receive in the mail call the company to be removed from future mailings.
28. To encourage recycling in your house set up a mini recycle center, once full bring them to your local center.
29. Use a shovel instead of a snowblower, not only does it give you a good work out but it is more eco-friendly!
30. When buying a new shower curtain purchase a cotton one to reduce the VOC you breath in & it can be washed over & over.
Birch Tree Photo by Saaby.
What's your biggest green goal this year?
Being green with the flick of a switch?
Use a power strip with an on/off switch on your computer so you can shut the power off to your computer when it's not in use. Computers are massive energy pigs even when they're just plugged in not being used. A power strip will solve this problem.
Rechargeable Batteries - The Perfect Way to Save More Energy and Cash
Rechargeable batteries are something that have been around for over 20 years, but haven't really caught on due to the technology that was being used. They used to not last long at all, and you had to charge them back up very frequently. Those days are gone. The slow self-discharge rate runs at 85% even after a full year after being charged. Traditional non-rechargeable batteries are extremely dangerous for the environment and contain hazardous chemicals that need to be disposed of properly. With rechargeable batteries, that isn't a worry, and you'll be saving money on top of it.
Make your Own Green Lenses on Squidoo!
Sign up Today!
Unique, eco chic products like biodegradable trash bags, refilable all natural, organic cleaners, paperless towels and chic reusables!
- Reusable Bags
100% cotton canvas reusable tote bags.
- Green Living Tips
Green living tips, ways to reduce your carbon footprint, reduce, reuse, and recycle!
- A Million Ways to Go Green
Green lensmasters attention! Add your spectacular green lens to our group, a Million Ways to Go Green for more exposure and to get the word out about going green.
Items to Make your Home Greener and Waste Less Energy - Upgrade your home efficiency!
Save loads of energy in your home by using CFL bulbs whenever you replace a bulb! They last 5 times longer on the average and use much less electricity.
Programmable thermostats like this highly rated Lux Products model will regulate your temperature at all times, so when you're at work the heat isn't unnecessarily cranked high, or when you're in bed.
A water conserving shower head can save gallons of water per shower use, adding up to major savings of water and money.
Smart strips protect your computer and appliances from electrical surges, and don't waste energy when they aren't in use.
Kill a Watt can tell you where you're wasting electricity in your home. Bring it to a friend's home and help them be greener, too!