jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Well the country is back on again???

1. moneyfairy profile image70
    moneyfairyposted 4 years ago

How long before the next government shut down? Will congress ever do thier job or will there be continued periodic shutdowns if neither side will budge???

1. wilderness profile image99
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

A few weeks, no and yes.

Our "leaders" can only "lead" to the playground, where they can squabble with the other children.

moneyfairyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL so true!!! thanks wilderness!!!

2. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sadly,I believe that this systamatic bullying will continue as long as Obama is the POTUS. I have a personal opinion hat the "boomer' generation is going through a cycle seen at the age of two and then again during teen years. I heard a man speak the other day on C-Span saying that the boomers were likened to the generation that resulted in our Civil War. They seem to care deeply about sounding off their opposing ideological beliefs to the detriment of this country.The art of compromise has been lost.

moneyfairyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is sad Tammy that supposed grown men that "we the people hired" can't do the jobs we paid them for. They are the ones that should go without pay till they can come to some kind of compromise. But it seems it's all or nothing. I think they should all be fired. it's sickening.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There could be repeated shutdowns if Obama refuses to budge on anything, yes.
      But (sigh) the Republicans are being blamed by so many people that I myself wouldn't urge them to fight again right now.
      It was as if they all played a game of chicken,  and the Republicans had to give in because Obama would've run over the people before he'd have given in.     The Republicans have my deep respect for trying to do the right thing.    Obama simply showed his lack of caring about anything except his own self.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

"Anything" being the budget and the farm bill.  Which should be left alone to be about the budget, and farming/food.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The fight over Obamacare was actually partly about the budget too.
      Look at how much money has been used already and will be used to enforce Obamacare.   And I dunno if it's true or not, but supposedly a lot of that money was taken from Medicare....

Obama's goal is to get ALL his agenda going,  no matter what.    Get it all going so that each section of it is "set in stone" and separated from the "budget" and is practically unstoppable.    That's not a proper way to budget at all;  it's not even budgeting;  it's adding to the deficit with every new step.

Is that what you meant by the farm bill should be left alone?

1. tammybarnette profile image60
        tammybarnetteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually the Affordable care Act will decrease deficits and repealing it would increase deficits by billions...don't take my word for it though, you can look it up on the CBO website. Many lies are being spread through the relentless and well financed pursuit of the tea party. The law is complex and has had terrible complications upon its roll out, but much could have been accomplished if bipartisanship were being used as in the cases of the establishment of social security and medicaid. Change is never easy or neat but inevitable. If members of congress have ideas too strengthen the healthcare act then those proposals should be being made instead of this childish bullying approach to repeal and return to a broken system that has made insurance companies and pharmacuetical companies fat to the detriment of the American people.

working