jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Adolescence in Politics.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 7 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13842852_f1024.jpg
    I would say perhaps 1 out of 100 pieces of writing I come across with regard to problems in society are based on shifting culpability to society as a whole. This is all too common and it's most common in those are 25 years old and younger. Here's a few thoughts on that.

1. Most internet publications are done ad nauseam. No credentials needed. No education. Someone with an opinion and internet connection can spread their idea all over the world. Idea's are consequential. Everyone seems to forget that.

2. The majority of internet and device users fall within the adolescent age range. Impulsive and emotional expression comes naturally to them. Most of the platforms design their technology around keeping the influx of new information only relevant to what they have searched or written about prior to. This creates a technological echo chamber.

3. From a biological point of view, adolescents are defined by the under-development of their pre-frontal cortex. This is the part of the brain that governs impulse control, self reflection, critical thinking, and identifying social nuances. They're more likely to take risks and act according to their emotions rather than logic. 

4. There are astonishing assumptions being made in Western society about the nature of economics and politics. The narrative being written now is that it's a simple structure that is being wielded against us for malevolent purposes. When, in fact, economics and societies are right up there with particles physics in terms of complexity. I would wager that 0.01% of those who say anything on the internet about how things are or how things should be are honestly representing reality.

I have a difficult time listening to people's spiels on socioeconomic reform when they haven't even learned how to clean their room or not spend 300 dollars each weekend at the bar.

It's been about 5 years since I've clawed my away out of the vacuum of adolescence and I must say, a politically influenced intellectual renaissance happened about as naturally as puberty. So, perhaps its just a matter of time before they all turn over to the "right" side. wink

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 7 weeks ago

The woman in the photo looks exactly like one of the cashiers at the Aldi store where I sometimes shop. Maybe it is she. At any rate, a striking resemblance.

Jessie L Watsonposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

What's Aldi?

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

Aldi is a grocery store chain that currently operates nearly 2,000 stores in 35 states, including California, Florida, Texas, and Pennsylvania.

Ohh I see.

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

I was in the store last week doing research for one of my Hubs and was telling her all about HubPages. I remember her telling me in the condiment aisle that writing was really hard.

It's hard because it's the same thing as thinking. Thinking in an organized way is difficult and often taken for granted.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

I couldn’t write a sentence before my Rhetoric & Composition course in undergraduate school. I also has a rough and tough professor for that course who had exceptionally high standards. (My former frat brothers will back me up on that too.) Miraculously, I learned how to write and ended up with a double major (math and English).

Congrats on your perseverance!

I never excelled at math until I got into college. I have a whole new work ethic. Maintaining a 99% in Statistics right now. The very class everyone told me was horrible and likely to have to retake. Pfff. Just takes patience. 

Writing has come naturally to me over the years but I still have a few bad habits.

6. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

Congrats on your 99% average in Statistics! Tough course. Demanding, etc.

To fulfill my course requirements as an English major, I had to take courses from other professors as well. They were OK, but no one could top the other professor. I took her for seven of my eight semesters. Whatever she taught, I took. Yes, my frat brothers used to tease me about her all the time.

7. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

I don’t mean to get off of the subject, but I applied for membership in the IAPWE several weeks ago. (I see that you are a member.) At the time, I was told that there were no spaces available and that I had to get on a waiting list. Well, I just received an email telling me that a space is now available.

What is your professional opinion of the group? Is it worth joining? Thanks in advance.

Well I guess it depends on what your expectations are. They provide different learning materials for building a professional writing career depending on which membership you pay for. I would say the biggest benefit of IAPWE is their weekly update of potential job listings or contracts.

It must've taken them 2-3 months before reviewing my work and accepting my application. When they responded I had forgotten who they even were haha.  I haven't interacted with them much since I've joined because I have too damn much going on at the moment. But every once and a while I will check the listings to see what's out there. Sometimes they're not writing jobs per se. The last one I looked at was looking for a social media manager for some herbal supplement vendor. So, at least there's a wide variety to choose from depending on your background.

8. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

Thank you for your candid and detailed explanation. I believe that I will join. (I’m not sure yet at what level.) In addition, thanks for telling me that the application process is not a drive-through breakthrough.

No problem. I think the 5 dollar membership gets you pretty much full access plus some downloadable eBooks. I get the impression that it's a newer organization trying to grow.

Since you're a money person (going off topic again), what do you make of crypto-currency? I heard bitcoin value was plummeting but I hear now is also a good time to invest in their competitors.

9. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

The $5.00 level sounds acceptable to me.

I would rather be honest with you rather than otherwise. I really don’t enough about cryptocurrency to form an opinion. That’s a topic that has been on my back burner for awhile. So, what do you make of it?

Well. It seems to have less to do with what I make of it and more to do with what democracy will make of it. If enough people decide it's a better system than standard currency then it will be a game changer. It's gained a lot of value over a short period of time. I'm not a stock broker but I feel like it was one of the greatest missed opportunities of the century.

I met someone recently who works for a company that owns about a dozen "bitcoin miners" which is basically hardware that somehow unearths bitcoins from the net. Bitcoin miners cost anywhere from $500 to 15K. A single thousand-dollar miner will pay for itself in about 1-3 months. Imagine having a basement full of them...

Alas, the more people get involved, the more profitable it becomes. Specialized law firms have already emerged to try and enforce certain regulations on trading bitcoin. Their first attempt at their own stock market failed a few years back in NY. But, as of today, a single bitcoin is worth nearly 15K.

Anyone can sign up for a free bitcoin wallet which is essentially an encrypted drop box to hold your bitcoins and make transactions with other people using bitcoin or companies that accept bitcoin.  There are games, surveys and activities all over the web that allow you to earn bitcoins (or at least minute fractions of bitcoins).

10. Gregory DeVictor profile image97

Thanks for your very informative explanation. I will have to reread it soon because there is a lot to digest. Perhaps you might consider writing a hub on a related topic.

Not my thing. Feel free to take this and whatever extra you find to make one for your page.

working