jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Wisconsin politics is a hot topic. How has the internet changed the political la

1. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

Wisconsin politics is a hot topic. How has the internet changed the political landscape?

The recall election in Wisconsin has focused upon unions and pension benefits. How has the Internet changed politics? Has the Internet changed politics? If so, how? Has the Internet's influence results in more conservative, more liberal views? Have your viewpoints been changed from a discussion out on the forums (here or otherwise?).

2. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The Internet being an interactive medium, it permits those who use it to take more  personal involvement in current events. That in turn tends to generate more interest among those people in political affairs.

I don't think that politically it has provided a comparative benefit to either liberal or conservative views. The Internet itself is traditionally a libertarian virtual world, and so it has promoted that sociopolitical point of view. Unfortunately, or fortunately if you take a more institutional position, that culture is coming to an end as governments build up their surveillance practices and take more regulatory control over the Internet, and so in the near future not even libertarianism will continue to enjoy a political boost from this.

I'm not sure where the war in Wisconsin per se fits into this question, though. Could you clarify that?

3. handymanbill profile image80
    handymanbillposted 5 years ago

It has helped to make more people aware of more sides to a story.I don't know if it has so much changed politics as it informs more people in a faster way. Then there are always peoples views. But I think that more people get to express their views.My view are always changing about some things.

4. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

I honestly think that the internet has made it possible to reach further extremes in our beliefs.  Because of anonymous posts, people can push the envelope.  Once that comes into play, people start getting more comfortable.  This has started the division in a state like Wisconsin, where we are progressive in one way, traditional in others.

working