jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do you view Americans in light of the US government, or separately?

1. breathe2travel profile image82
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Do you view Americans in light of the US government, or separately?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

They are not the same. The American people are a nation. The United States is a nation-state.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will not disagree, but it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. We the people elect. We the people make demands. We the people receive benefits. Because people are imperfect,the government is imperfect.

3. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

The problem is that the American people elect their government. You can't dissociate both that easily. When they elected Bush, they knew who he was, still they reelected him.

4. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

I think that I can separate Americans as individuals from their Government.

Even before coming to the US. When I lived in England, I met Americans as individuals.  Even though as some have said here the US government is of the people, that government is only representative of the nations political thought.

The government is not the individual it is the group. I prefer to see past the group stereotype and look to the individual.

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i used to view them separately but not anymore. i've watched the U.S. change over the last 20 years or so and it's time the people there take blame for how messed up they are becoming. they have given up the one thing that made them a great nation, it's called freedom. they have let terrorists win the war and they don't even want to admit it. it saddens me when i think about it.

6. Craig Suits profile image77
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

Individual Americans are a mixed lot because this is a free nation. Some are for the government and some are not. The incombent government still represents the nation as a whole until the people decide different.

7. backporchstories profile image82
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I have met people from all over the world and also traveled more than a couple of times to Mexico.  I can tell you first hand, that us Americans are looked upon by the image the government has put out there.  By and large we are not liked!  The impressions I have received, are that Americans are generally egotistical, selfish, spoiled and power hungry.

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

We are not the same. The pledge of Allegiance starts out as "I". I, A unity of one. The Government is elected to serve the People. I don't know when it got turned around? Not the People serving the Government.

Thank you breathe2travel