jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Will the failure of the Walker recall mean the end of public unions?

1. Cassie Smith profile image69
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

Will the failure of the Walker recall mean the end of public unions?

2. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 5 years ago

It has here in TN. It all quietly took place back when the crazies in WI were raising hell. We had a couple of demonstrations but that was it.

A good teacher's raise is no longer strapped to the performance of a burned out teacher's need for a career change.

Hopefully the failure of the Walker Recall also signals the coming doom of the Obama Administration this November. I know my fingers are crossed that it does.

Cassie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is great news Longhunter.  The changes will have to be state by state.  I don't know if it will be in time to remove the Obama Administration by this November but the odds are rapidly improving.

3. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 5 years ago

Lets hope that it is a step in the right direction.  "Public" servants need to serve the public, not themselves.

Cassie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And that's the problem Frog Prince.  They forgot that they really are public servants and the money that they earn comes from the taxpayers.

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

The current form of public unions may be altered. The need and desire to have them hasn't changed, so no they will not go away. Hopefully they will come out of this as organizations who will be less concerned about protecting their assets and more concerned about fighting for their workers. I think that choosing an electoral solution rather than a direct action solution was a mistake.

5. Dennis AuBuchon profile image83
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 5 years ago

I do not think unions will go away, they just need a cultural change in relation to their objectives and tactics.  Unions are necessary to protect workers rights.  Let us hope unions get the message not only from the public but their membership in what funds they collect.  Membership dues should be spent on the needs of their members not a political agenda.  I believe the age of organizations having an impact in an election has diminished since many individuals make up their own minds in terms of electing individuals.  Just because unions and other organizations support one candidate or another does not necessarily mean the membership agrees with the choices being made.

working