Politics

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 23 months ago

In Arizona, a State Senator tweeted after the Buffalo incident:
    "Fed boy summer has started in Buffalo"
    A 24-3 vote has opened an ethics investigation. One of the people who voted against commented that her tweet was an embarrassment but she had every right to make it under the First Amendment.
    Was he right?

1. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I think it is possible the state senator will pay a price with her voting base for such a comment.  She is free to say such a thing, but she is not free from the consequences of her constituent's reaction to it.

1. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91
        Stephen Tomkinsonposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I believe you are right. However, we might find that a considerable number of her constituents will back her comment.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image61
          Fayetteville Fayeposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Monday morning, though, she tweeted that she “of course” condemned the violence in Buffalo.

“I also condemn the #FakeNews and the government promoting violence and then blaming it on regular patriotic Americans as if regular Americans share those despicable views. Everything is not what it seems!”

A growing section of America is absolutely enthralled with conspiracy theory. They are increasingly more wild and dangerous.  The Great Replacement Theory garbage spewed by this woman along with MANY Republicans and Fox News was the basis for the Buffalo shooting.  They have essentially dug this hate out of the darkest corners of the internet and brought it to light to mainstream America. Tucker Carlson has pushed the theory over 400 times on his show.  Yep, you better believe she's got support.

"The Great Replacement Theory garbage spewed by this woman along with MANY Republicans and Fox News was the basis for the Buffalo shooting. "

Ho hum, here we go again, same old script.  Everybody is to blame except the shooter. 

So, I guess the Bernie Sanders supporter who shot Republican congressman was a result of MSNBC and left spewing hatred for Republicans?  That's the case using your logic. Maybe he was motivated by Maxine Waters and the hate that she spews forth about Republicans.

Darrell Brooks who plowed into a Christmas celebration in Wisconsin, in your view, could have been inspired by all the hate spewed forth by Black Lives Matter and the left media to kill white people.  He killed 5 people and injured 60 including 8 children.  Isn't that the case using your logic? Brooks constantly posted things about the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict, so I guess using your logic Kyle Rittenhouse is responsible. Oh, he also posted many bad things about Derek Chauvin, so I guess, using your logic Derek Chauvin is also responsible.

Lets forget this brooks was a convicted sex offender and had a long arrest record.  Using your logic it's not him, it what he heard on the media that is responsible.

Sorry, Fox news, MSNBC, Maxine Waters, Bernie Sanders, Tucker Carlson, etc.,  and all elected officials are not responsible for a person's behavior. 

THE CRIMINALS alone are responsible for what they did and nobody else.

Trying to spread around the blame in this situation seems pretty pathetic to me.

I'm not trying to absolve him of blame or relieve him of responsibility. He is ultimately responsible for his actions. But there is absolutely no doubt after reading his manifesto online that this boy was radicalized, online overtime. The document demonstrates a very clear trajectory from radicalization online to violence and extremism.  He was a consumer of hate propaganda And a believer in replacement theory. That's very clear.
              Online hate often  turns into real life violence. That's a fact.  This boy was a regular of 4 Chan and 8 Chan. Do you believe sites such as those contribute in any positive manner to society?  As long as we let these sites thrive, violence will continue.
              Heck, clips of his  live stream are currently circulating on Twitter.  Why do we give oxygen to this?  Who  will be inspired by this boy as a result? 
              This boy Left us a clear roadmap of his path to Buffalo. The question is, what are we going to do with it?   What solutions will come from this?  Are citizens in even interested in a solution or would they just rather use it as a political fodder as usual?

Same could be said of Darrell Brooks, or the Congressional shooter Eugene Simpson, or even Micah Xavier Johnson who ambushed white Dallas police officers and killed five of them.

I wonder what role CRT played in their actions?  Did those Dallas police officers die because of the views of BLM? 

FYI...white replacement theory has been around for decades.  It was popularized by Hitler.

So, what's your solution?  Government control of information?

Yes I understand replacement theory has been around for a very long time. The internet makes it and other types of hate spread more quickly and reach far more than it ever did.
                  If we don't address the groups and the people who radicalize others then we are simply letting it spread. We already have more than enough research to show us that these online hate based forums often leads to violence. Many of them outright encourage  violence.  If we do nothing to combat it, we had better accept the fact that these types of shootings and other violence will continue.  I suppose those will simply be the cost of maintaining the high minded ideal of "free speech".
                  I really don't grasp the idea that we should maintain free speech at all costs especially when the outcomes are so clearly detrimental. What purpose does it serve to have the Buffalo shooters rampage being played on an endless loop on Twitter and elsewhere?  As far as I'm concerned, it's just inspiration for the next kid to step up. Let's not act surprised and outraged when it happens though.  You know some say the definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  That's where we are in this country.

"I really don't grasp the idea that we should maintain free speech at all costs especially when the outcomes are so clearly detrimental. "

So, are you saying the government should censor speech because crazy people do crazy things?

"What purpose does it serve to have the Buffalo shooters rampage being played on an endless loop on Twitter and elsewhere?"

So, do you want the government to censor the press?

Again, North Korea, China, Russia, Cuba are all places where the government controls the press and free speech.  Is THAT the kind of country you want to live in?

2. Credence2 profile image78
              Credence2posted 23 months agoin reply to this

"Maybe" is not worth the price of a cup of coffee. You are grasping at what ever straws you can to distract others from the magnitude of the crime in Buffalo.

The Left is going to play this to the fullest extent; the troika of the proliferation of dangerous firearms, the Carlson racist messenging and advocacy's role as part of the manifesto of this kid and finally, the extremes taken in the abortion controversy.

We are going to push it all with everything we got.....

No proof he was anything other than a very mentally disturbed individual.  If you read about him you would know he told people he hated Fox News.

1. Credence2 profile image78
                  Credence2posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Mike, isn't that what you guys ALWAYS say as an excuse?

No, he is just a racist just as so many that follow the GOP line is, in reality, but continue the attempt to conceal such.

Referring to his choice of media as evidence isn't even a clever dodge or parry. I see something far more sinister and dangerous behind this veneer of calm in the face of fascistic intolerance being offered by Rightwing that is everyday ever more representative of the heart of the "Grand Old Party"

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
        Sharlee01posted 23 months agoin reply to this

So very true.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 23 months agoin reply to this

In this instance, I think the Free Speech claim is right. Google says this Senator is a nut, or a scheming politician, or a Representative of the voters that elected her.

I think the last is the worst case, the second choice is just typical, and the first is the most innocent—nuts are everywhere. So the best hope is that she is just a nut.

GA

3. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Has she made any formal statements on the tweet "Fed boy summer has started in Buffalo"?  This seems pretty clear in regard to context.  Not cool.  But she has the right to free speech. We have the right to say --- not cool, not called for,  and IMO not true.

I picked up this more recent tweet
      Wendy Rogers
      @WendyRogersAZ
      Of course I condemn the violence in Buffalo, who doesn’t? I also condemn the #FakeNews and the government promoting violence and then blaming it on regular patriotic Americans as if regular Americans share those despicable views. Everything is not what it seems!
      1:11 PM · May 16, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Not sure what to make of this tweet. This is the problem with tweets, they cause one to play detective on what the hell they are meant to mean.

Has she put out a statement on her "Fed boy summer has started in Buffalo" tweet?

2. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91

I know nothing about the woman, but she certainly sounds eccentric at best.

3. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91

Quite simply, it doesn't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)