The Disatorous Ramifications of the Deadly Reversal of Roe vs Wade.

Jump to Last Post 51-62 of 62 discussions (689 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 4 weeks ago

Assigned sex isn't black and white no matter how much it may be wished. There is intersex that constantly is avoided. Though one may say those cases are obscure or very rare, they still count. To be true, always true.

From Science Daily quoting a paper by the University of Melbourne we see . . .

"Lead author of the study, Professor Andrew Sinclair, said that 90 percent of human DNA is made up of so called 'junk DNA or dark matter' which contains no genes but does carry important regulators that increase or decrease gene activity.

"These regulatory segments of DNA are called enhancers," he said. If these enhancers that control testis genes are disrupted it may lead to a baby being born with a disorder of sex development."

Professor Sinclair, who is also a member of the Paediatrics Department of the University of Melbourne, said this study sought to understand how the SOX9 gene was regulated by enhancers and whether disruption of the enhancers would result in disorders of sex development.

"We discovered three enhancers that, together ensure the SOX9 gene is turned on to a high level in an XY embryo, leading to normal testis and male development," he said.

"Importantly, we identified XX patients who would normally have ovaries and be female but carried extra copies of these enhancers, (high levels of SOX9) and instead developed testes. In addition, we found XY patients who had lost these SOX9 enhancers, (low levels of SOX9) and developed ovaries instead of testes."

Geneticists make new discovery about how a baby's sex is determined Published at Science Daily (Dec 15, 2018)

Medical researchers have made a new discovery about how a baby's sex is determined: it's not just about the X-Y chromosomes, but involves a 'regulator' that increases or decreases the activity of genes which decide if we become male or female.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 141333.htm

Also, "An estimated 1 in 100 Americans is intersex. Around 2% of people worldwide have intersex traits."

Intersex from the Cleveland Clinic

People who are intersex have genitals, chromosomes or reproductive organs that don’t fit into a male/female sex binary. Their genitals might not match their reproductive organs, or they may have traits of both. Being intersex may be evident at birth, childhood, later in adulthood or never. Being intersex isn’t a disorder, disease or condition.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/a … 4-intersex

1. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

If you are referring to transgender, intersex isn't part of it.

To be transgender you have to BE one gender and then hold the belief you can "transition" to another gender.

That is an old and tired argument that doesn't apply to the topic.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Was transgender mentioned in my post? The OP Topic is The Disatorous Ramifications of the Deadly Reversal of Roe vs Wade.  So, it appears there has been some wandering since the OP Topic's inception.

1. Readmikenow profile image95
          Readmikenowposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

How is the issue of intersex tied to The Disastrous Ramifications of the Deadly Reversal of Roe vs Wade.?

1. tsmog profile image84
            tsmogposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Okay . . .

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks ago

And now Southern Baptists have decided to opposed invitro fertilization, which is the only way many children come into this world. I thought they were supposed to be pro-life?

1. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I think somebody on this page said that isn't true - that that article didn't say such a thing.

2. Willowarbor profile image60
      Willowarborposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

They are a large voting bloc, how do we think MAGA will respond?   Trump has created this movement that won't stop until they have complete control over women's bodies.  They will ban contraception and IVF if given the power.  Let's not forget that Trump has stated there must be some form of punishment for a woman who receives an abortion.  MAGA can not be trusted.

Trump has no chance of reelection if he doesn't have the evangelicals on board.  He will have to cater to them.

Republicans just blocked a bill that would enshrine access to IVF... They blocked a bill that would ensure access to birth control. They're laying the groundwork.

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
        Ken Burgessposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

It sounds like the Trump Taliban!

How can we stop them!

We couldn't defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan... how can we possibly stop a Trump Taliban of millions of Americans!

58% of women voted for Biden last time, polls show 58% still would vote for him... so clearly, one of the biggest problems America has is allowing women to vote.

As for the LGBTQP+ and all the other nonsense related to it, all the more reason to give up on our Christian ideals of forgiveness and acceptance... look where that has gotten the country today.

A Trump Taliban should require all Christians to convert, accept Sharia Law.  And since we seem so keen on ridding ourselves of the Constitution and 1st and 2nd Amendment rights especially, lets just replace it with Sharia Law as well.

Taliban to impose their interpretation of Sharia law in Afghanistan
        https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/15/asia/tal … index.html

Biden helped bring that peace and prosperity to Afghanistan by withdrawing and letting the Afghan Taliban take over there... he should do the same here in America... the Trump Taliban, has a nice ring to it, would bring about a great renaissance to America.

Kinda reminds me of one of my favorite songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4acSpOxC8

My Esotericposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Now you are catching on..

Trump helped bring peace and prosperity to Afghanistan by setting in motion the withdrawal and letting the Afghan Taliban out of prison take over there.

A Trump Taliban might require all non-Christians to convert, accept Southern Baptist Law.  You know, that American religion that used to make women ware head scarves and forced them to enter churches through different doors and not sit with the men?  I wonder where Sharia got the ideas for their law? (Or maybe the Southern Baptist copied them.)

"58% of women voted for Biden last time, polls show 58% still would vote for him... so clearly, one of the biggest problems America has is allowing women to vote." - I was wondering when you were going to admit that out loud.

2. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Surely, you jest about your Trump Taliban or is that what you really want? At least, you do reveal your preference for anautocratic alternative. As a result we are on totally opposite poles. I won't vote for it or anything close.

BTW, I am not much for hip-hop or rap music. Its main entertainers are being paid by Trump.

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
            Ken Burgessposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Really, its not home grown natural support?

Makes me wonder, is Taylor Swift or any of the Hollywood elite paid to support the madness of today we call the Biden Administration?

Does this one remind you of something... our forum maybe?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=najeyO0CuXw

1. Credence2 profile image78
              Credence2posted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

It was the same video that "Savvydating" shared with me a couple of months ago. I regard it as so much rubbish. Hmm, maybe you both have something in common? The fact that you use the video to make a point? You both harp on the same themes?

The people I am listening to is our intelligentsia, the people who through achievement and scholarship have a voice that resonates in our communities, not trashy hip hop artists. I can't speak for Hollywood and say that their advocacy of Democratic candidates are different. But, I am coming from a different pole that convinces me that the Democrats are my preference.

Imagine,  trading your freedom for a pair of silly gold plated sneakers?

2. My Esoteric profile image87

And why would Taylor Swift need money?  Is she broke or something?  No, it is that they love America.

3. Willowarbor profile image60
          Willowarborposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Not sure what you are saying? Do you agree with the maga movement to ban IVF and contraception as well as punish women for abortion?

That says it all, doesn't it.  MAGA is a danger to freedom, period.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 4 weeks ago

Just for a little humor . . .

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/448204474_10161382027013555_4459100940833875534_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=_jiH8R7G-f8Q7kNvgExsAaK&_nc_ht=scontent.fsan1-2.fna&oh=00_AYBXIboxSEzZuV7NYL7nb_g4Uqes-gEu7qITz-ATRz2bpg&oe=667225D9

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 weeks ago

If I had not walked out of a Southern Baptist Church two years ago over their lack of mercy towards those with sexual orientation different from theirs (in spite of the statistics on sexual abuse by heterosexuals in their own denomination) I certainly would have left now that they are opposed to IVF. My two grandchildren that only exist thanks to this miraculous procedure are too precious to me to tolerate such ignorance in my own religion.

Church is meant to be more than just what you are against.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

"Church is meant to be more than just what you are against."

That would depend on which church it is and which people are in it.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
        Kathleen Cochranposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

smile

So to rephrase you statement you just said that some churches and the people in it are only about what they are against.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

They are in it for cash and control, with the "control" coming across as "against".  That is my opinion, based on a lifetime of dealing with religious zealots.

I will also say that other churches and other peoples are the salt of the earth and do far, far more good than evil.  I have also known some of those.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 weeks ago

In my experience, yes. And that list seems to grow with each passing year.

6. Vlado - Val Karas profile image67
    Vlado - Val Karasposted 2 weeks ago

In my opinion it's, as always, merely a psychological warfare leading to nothing but perpetuating itself with some more "believable" threats. Einstein was right when he said that he didn't know what weapons would be used in a WWIII, but knew for sure that a WWIV would be fought with bows and arrows.
    While every war is about money, and it's always the elite pushing for it -- this one is way different, because it would mean their spending the rest of life in bunkers for the radiation screwing up the livability on earth.
    And that's something that none of them wants, you can bet on it; they love their luxurious living way too much.
    Politicians are merely the puppets of the elite, and even in their hottest moments of political antagonism, they will do anything else but trigger that cataclysmic and suicidal idiocy.
    Much more likely, they may start some new smaller wars, while also trying to counteract the growing economic and military power of the BRICS alliance.
    But, in the military reality, the huge change happened with Putin showing that he was not scared of NATO -- while that was always the strongest card of the West in psychological warfare, now losing its significance.
    Well, how the global stupidity is going to play out -- no one knows, but nukes have since ever been the best guarantee against a total annihilation.
    In my opinion, if the WWIII was to happen, it would have already happen, there have been enough "reasons" for it in the past decades.

7. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 2 weeks ago

Moral absolutism?

Moral relativism?

Moral universalism?

8. Valeant profile image85
    Valeantposted 2 weeks ago

Infant mortality rate jumps nearly 13% in Texas...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-anti-a … 49517.html

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

I read this same story earlier today as I was perusing th news on my phone. These two lines struck me as particularly heartbreaking:

"In the wake of the law's passage in Texas, more babies died before their first birthday, likely due to birth defects or genetic problems that wouldn't have allowed them to live, the study found. These pregnancies would typically have been terminated by abortion, according to researchers."

Heartbreaking because as much as it would hurt to lose a defective child while still in the womb, to hold and love that child for several months while watching it die, sometimes painfully, seems more unbearable to me.

The article said that they had not studied the emotional effects nor the financial burdens on the families of the babies who were not able to live. I believe there will definitely be prolonged consequences. I also wonder if the effects of the loss of the babies on the siblings will be studied. Nobody ever thinks about the loss or grief of an older child. If the older sibling has never seen, held or loved the little baby that dies, he or she may experience disappointment that the baby doesn't come home with mommy, but not the deep grief of the loss of a baby sibling they loved. But the living don't matter to the Forced Birthers.

"We're saving babies," the Forced Birthers keep trying to convince us. This study shows otherwise.

They are also discriminating against people whose religion doesn't agree with theirs. The Jews disagree that life begins at birth. They believe that life begins when the baby takes the first breath and sucks in the soul. I'm not Jewish, but that has been my spiritual belief for many years.

https://www.ncjw.org/wp-content/uploads … -FINAL.pdf

If the link doesn't work, go to ncjw.org to read the complete Advocacy Resource and other things they are doing to fight what they consider the blatant discrimination against their religion and Jewish women.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting the link, MizBejabbers!! That has been my argument/point all along. Not only do some religions have different beliefs about when life begins and if abortion is acceptable, but also some Christian denominations. Not everyone 'believes' what the Christian Right does.

My Esotericposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

But, they don't care.  They are right and that is all there is to it.

The kinds of people who are responsible for all this pain and suffering should be institutionalized, IMO.

Are you really surprised? It is Texas afterall.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 weeks ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art … Tk5XGeVxNg

Unintended consequences happen when you are absolutely sure that you are absolutely right about something you actually know nothing about.

1. Nathanville profile image90
      Nathanvilleposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow - thanks for sharing.

10. Willowarbor profile image60
    Willowarborposted 11 days ago

Trump has  said he was "proudly the person responsible" for the change brought about by the SCOTUS two years ago, when it overturned Roe. 

Is he proud of this?

Nicole Miller had gone to the emergency room in Boise, Idaho, after waking up with heavy bleeding in her 20th week of pregnancy. By afternoon, she was still leaking amniotic fluid and hemorrhaging and, now in a panic, struggling to understand why the doctor was telling her that she needed to leave the state to be treated.

“If I need saving, you’re not going to help me?” she recalls asking. She remembers his answer vividly: “He told me he wasn’t willing to risk his 20-year career.”

Instead, that evening, hospital workers at St. Luke’s Boise Medical Center put Ms. Miller on a small plane to Utah.  She was airlifted, so she could receive an abortion.

What I also want to know is who paid for this airlift?  The poor family will probably go into bankruptcy over this on top of it.

Doctors in Idaho and other states with near-total bans say that even with the renewed protection of federal law, they have little clarity about what medical emergencies are covered, and little reassurance that they will not face charges, jail time, large fines and loss of their medical licenses if they provide care a prosecutor says was not necessary.

What kind of utter nonsense is this? This is idiotic.

By the time they put her on the plane to Utah, they estimated she had lost a liter of blood.

And cruelty isn't the point of these laws? Please.

The chief of staff from the aforementioned Idaho hospital speaking to his concerns..

"Is she sick enough? Is she bleeding enough? Is she septic enough for me to do this abortion and not risk going to jail and losing my license?" And when the guessing game gets too uncomfortable, we transfer the patients out at a very high cost to another state where the doctors are allowed to practice medicine."

Wow, "where the doctors are allowed to practice medicine". 

I ask,  what other area would you support politicians determining how a doctor treats an emergency, a health issue?   Maybe politicians should give doctor's guidelines on how and when to treat certain types of cancer? Kidney disease, liver disease?   Why are we stopping at just women's healthcare?

Trump did this, he owns this. And the fact that he gloats over it is vile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/28/us/e … other.html

My Esotericposted 11 days agoin reply to this

I regularly contribute to places like the Brigid Alliance that pay for travel such as hers and WRRAP that does other good works..

11. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 7 days ago

This is where the Republican Party is today - anti-IVF and imprisoning women who get abortions (at least so says Ed Martin, leader of the RNC Platform Committee).

https://www.cnn.com/kfile-ed-martin-rnc … index.html

12. Kathleen Cochran profile image75
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 days ago

For the record, IVF results in lives that would otherwise never exist. Unimplanted zygotes are no different than fertilized eggs that do not implant in a woman's uterus so flush out of her body through mensuration possibly every month. A zygote is not an embryo until it implants in the uterus.

How do I know this? Two precious grandchildren we only have through IVF.

My Esotericposted 7 days agoin reply to this

It seems to me there are few idiots on the Right (maybe that Ed Martin) who would arrest a woman for having a menstrual cycle.  Things have gotten that ridiculous.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)