★ Ideas for Good Deeds | Make a Stranger's Day with Random Acts of Kindness ★
Pass It On - Do Something Nice Today
Random acts of kindness are little or big things you can do for other people without expecting any kind of return. And of course this works both ways because doing something nice for someone else makes you feel good too and add to your sense of wellbeing. And if you do the good deeds anonymously, it's even more fun - it's like being an undercover agent on a mission!
If you can't afford to give away money or time, there are still plenty of little day-to-day things you can do to make the world a better place. And often if someone has received a kind act, they will 'pass it on' or 'pay it forward', meaning your action goes on and on.
I hope you enjoy reading this page, and I hope it inspires you to add more random acts of kindness to your life :-)
Life Vest Inside
This video pretty much sums it all up...
Ideas To Brighten Someone's Day
- If you get to a toll road/bridge, why not pay for the toll of the person behind you too?
- Smile at strangers, maybe say 'Hi'
- Compliment people - either your friends/family members or perhaps compliment a stranger on their clothes and ask where they bought them.
- Give out free hugs
- Open doors for people
- If you're pre-paying for a parking ticket in a car park, and see someone else coming to get a ticket, buy two tickets instead and give one to them. You can always say 'I bought 2 by mistake' if you don't want to admit it was on purpose :-)
- In a restaurant, if you have a great waiter/waitress, you could: leave them a generous tip, leave a note complimenting the service (or maybe a cute little doodle if you can draw), or you could tell their boss what a brilliant employee they have. And if the meal was excellent, why not send your compliments to the chef?
- Send anonymous Valentine's day cards
- Bake a cake or cupcakes and give them out for no reason at all. Maybe give them to strangers too.
- Submit positive feedback to a business you appreciate, or write a glowing review online for a favourite restaurant, shop or service
- Write a handwritten thank you note or letter to someone you haven't seen for a while. Or just send them a joke or some random little toy in the post.
- Find a pen pal in another country - (via Pen Pals.)
- Send postcards to people all over the world, with nice messages on them - Post Crossing.
- Leave genuine complimentary comments on people's personal blogs and Youtube videos, or send e-mails to your favourite one-person online shops just to say how much you like their stuff. It will brighten their day.
Best Books About Good Deeds
Good deed ideas, stories of people making the world a better place, and other books to feed your soul:
I Dare You Not To Smile
I love the Free Hugs Campaign - so cute!
Good Deed Ideas
- Send an encouraging card to a sick child through MakeAChildSmile.org
- Donate blood
- Register to become an organ donor
- Write your postman/bin man/milkman a thank-you note and attach it to the letterbox/bin/doormat.
- Adopt an abandoned animal
- Leave an inspirational message in a public place. This could be in the form of a chalk message on the pavement, notes on pieces of paper left in library books, printed pages stuck on walls or doors. You could also leave a funny message to make someone smile. Be careful not to litter or graffiti, and only do this in public places. Click here for some brilliant examples.
- Donate money to charity
- Buy your partner/friend or family member a gift for no reason and send it snail mail with nice gift wrapping.
- Buy someone lunch, a surprise treat/cake/snack, or coffee.
- Always say please and thank-you, and smile!
- Pull faces at kids in the street without letting their parents see and see if you can make them laugh.
- Send a thank- you to someone in the military. It's simple and free here: LetsSayThanks.com
- Make breakfast in bed for someone you live with.
Put Yourself Out For Other People
Practice Random Acts of Kindness
More Acts of Kindness
- Leave some change in a vending machine
- Post an anonymous "Have a great day" card in a neighbour's/stranger's letterbox
- Let someone in front of you in a queue at a shop or when driving
- Offer to hold your umbrella over someone as they walk in the rain.
- The classic helping an old lady across the road
- If someone drops something, or is struggling to carry their bags, offer to help.
- Buy a drink for someone homeless, or give them some food.
- Organizing, or taking part in a flashmob certainly makes people smile, and if you can knit, why not try some Guerrilla knitting?! Don't go overboard with the knitting though because I'm not sure it's 100% legal!
- Do a bit of garden work for people for free e.g. raking leaves.
- Volunteer for charitable organisations.
- If you find a little-known shop (online or otherwise) which you really llike but it seems quiet, or it is struggling for business, do a bit of word-of-mouth advertising for it yourself.
Or you could take part in a 'sneak attack' on an undiscovered Etsy (handmade) shop here.
Change the World - One Bit at a Time
Links to More Ideas & Inspiration
- 50 Good Deeds
Excellent daily ideas for 50 days.
- Feel the Power
A few good suggestions.
- Random Acts of Kindness
A creative list of things anyone can do.
- Top 70 Ideas
Random and easy ideas.
- More Lists
Over 50 excellent ideas.
- 134 Random Acts
All of the best.
- Operation Beautiful
Leaving anonymous notes in public.
- Free Compliments
Print out this free template and display on noticeboards to give people a boost.
- Care Packages
Ideas on what to include in your packages.
- Help Out a New Mum/Dad
If you've got a friend who has just had a baby - try these ideas out.
Inspiration For Doing Good - And For Life in General
"Great acts are made up of small deeds."
~ Lao Tzu