- Politics and Social Issues
Home or Residential Micro Wind Turbine Generators
Thinking About Building Your Own Mini or Micro Wind Turbine?
Micro wind generators (AKA mini wind turbines, or home wind turbines) are actually very affordable to build and use.
Mini wind turbines can help you reduce your dependency on the electric grid, and save you money in the long run, and they don't cost as much, need as much wind, or take up as much space as a full size wind turbine.
What Is A Micro Wind Generator or Turbine
A micro wind generator is a smaller version of the large wind turbines you see everywhere these days.
Many of them are made of lighter weight materials like plastic so they can be more efficient with less wind.
Many towns and cities will not allow you to put up the tall towers that are required for a regular wind turbine, a micro wind turbine may be the answer to your problem.
Micro turbines can be built out of less expensive materials than their larger counterparts.
5 Tips to Reduce Your Energy Consumption
If you would like to go off grid with your own micro home wind turbine you'll still need to reduce your overall energy consumption, and be more energy efficient. Here are a few tips to get you started.
1. Replace those incandescent bulbs with more energy efficient fluorescent bulbs, you can get the compact bulbs to fit in any light socket.
2. Buy energy efficient appliances. Don't purchase new appliances unless they have good energy star ratings.
3. Hang those clothes out on the line. There's nothing better than slipping in between sheets that have been dried in the sun and wind, so skip the drier and hang your clothes dry.
4. Unplug your appliances when you're not using them. Did you know your appliances use electricity just because they're plugged in? When you're not using something unplug it!
5. Turn the lights out when you leave the room. This is a hard one for kids and adults. You don't have to have all the lights in the house on. Make it a game to see how few lights you can use at night. Learn to get around with less lights when you're just passing through a room.
What are the benefits of making or buying a mini wind turbine for your home?
1. Long term money savings. The wind turbine will cost you up front, but long it will save you money on energy costs.
2. Reduce your carbon footprint.
3. The ability to go off grid (or reduce your dependency) and supply your own electricity with your own personal power source.
4. Helps preserve our environment.
5. Set a good example for others.
Image via sxc.hu
A Word Of Caution
When you're looking onto an alternative energy method for your home make sure you take into consideration the local laws and regulations. Even though the micro or mini wind turbines are not as large, you'll still want to know the rules.
Check with your local power company, and municipality to make sure there are no interconnection laws to prevent you from creating your own power, or zoning laws that prevent you from putting up a micro wind turbine (or two) on your property.
Image via sxc.hu