Mounted Search and Rescue Teams by State
Search and Rescue on Horseback
This is not an exhaustive list of Mounted Search & Rescue Units. This is a list of MSAR units in the United States that have a website or some sort of online presence or contact information and include volunteer members. Some links go directly to the Sheriff's office sites that oversee the units.
If your team or one you know of is not yet included in the directory, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message in the guestbook below, so I can add the team to the directory.
FYI: If you see "none" for a state, that does not mean there are no Mounted SAR units there, just that I don't have information for any ... yet.
Read About Mounted SAR
Mounted Search and Rescue (MSAR) is a specialty within search and rescue, using horses for transportation and to search for missing persons. SAR responders on horseback are primarily a search resource, but they also can provide off-road logistics support and transportation.
This book deals with what to look for in your horse's attitude and training for a good search and rescue mount. Not all horses will make good search and rescue horses.
The text also deals with what is expected of the rider, and the equipment the rider and horse will both need. It covers different types of searches, what will happen at a search from beginning to end, and characteristics of the victims and the emergency care they may require, as well as care of horses during a search. There are also practice scenarios included. Many parts of this book can be applied to other types of search units, not just mounted.
About the Author: Deb Schultz has raised and trained horses for over 40 years. A former E.M.T., she has been involved with mounted law enforcement and civil defense for more than 15 years and is also a graduate of the National Mounted Police Officers Training Group.
This book is also available on Kindle.
Join a Discussion Group
MSAR-Riders is an electronic mailing list for mutual support of horse riders who participate in mounted search and rescue (MSAR).
See the MSAR-Riders Info Page
Learn About Being Part of a Search & Rescue Team
Are you intrigued by stories about wilderness rescues and searches for missing hikers or mountain climbers? If so, perhaps becoming a Search and Rescue volunteer....
Mounted Teams by State
States are listed in alphabetical order.
- MATSAR Search & Rescue: PO Box 876467Wasilla, Alaska 99687 (907)745-6727
- Apache County Sheriff's Posse
- Cochise County Sheriff's Office SAR Posse, Mounted Team
- Coconino County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Unit, Mounted Team
- Gila County Sheriff's Office Mounted Posse
- Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mounted Posse
- Queen Creek Mounted Search and Rescue Posse
- Scottsdale Mounted Posse
- Southern Arizona Mounted Search and Rescue, Inc. (SAMSAR), Pima County
- Yavapai County Sheriff's Response Team, Mounted Unit
- Alameda and Contra Costa Counties East Bay Regional Park District Search and Rescue
- Butte County Sheriff's Mounted Posse: contact through the Butte County Sheriff's Communications Reserve
- Contra Costa County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Team
- El Dorado County Sheriff's Office SAR Mounted Unit
- Glenn County Sheriff's Posse
- Kern County Sheriff's Department Glennville Search and Rescue
- Lomita Station Mounted Posse (Los Angeles County)
- United States Army Volunteer Reserve (USAVR) Mounted Cavalry Task Force (Los Angeles County)
- Marin County Mounted Sheriff's Posse
- Mariposa County Sheriff's Posse
- Mid-Peninsula Regional Open Space District (MROSD)
- Monterey County Sheriff's Mounted Unit
- Napa County Mounted Sheriff's Posse
- Placer County Sheriff's Department Mounted Unit
- Norco Mounted Posse (Riverside County)
- Temecula Valley Police Posse (Riverside County)
- Sacramento County Sheriff's Mounted Search and Rescue
- San Benito County Sheriff's Volunteer Mounted Search Unit
- San Bernardino County Mounted Posse
- Santa Clara County Trail Patrols
- Chino Police Mounted Posse (San Bernadino County)
- Yucca Valley MSAR (San Bernadino County)
- San Diego County Sheriff's Department SAR Mounted Unit
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Mounted Search & Rescue
- San Mateo County Parks Volunteer Horse Patrol
- Sutter County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
None found so far
Update: The below-listed individual counties, along with the Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol, are now combined into one state-wide unit: The Kentucky Mounted Patrol.
- Bourbon County Mounted Patrol
- Franklin County Mounted Patrol
- Grant County Mounted Patrol
- Hart County Mounted Patrol
- Jefferson County Mounted Patrol
- Lee County Mounted Patrol
- Mason County Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol
- Mercer County Mounted Patrol
- Nelson County Mounted Patrol
- Nicholas County
The Jefferson County Mounted Sheriff's Posse is also located in Kentucky and has its own website.
Hardin County Mounted Search and Rescue is also a stand-alone unit in Kentucky.
- Becker County Sheriffs Mounted Posse
- Carlton County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Carver County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Crow Wing County Sheriff's Volunteer Mounted Patrol
- Goodhue County Sheriff's Posse
- Marshall County Mounted Sheriff’s Posse (100+ members; No website--contact Terry Nowacki at email@example.com)
- Meeker County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Pine County Sheriffs Mounted Patrol
- Polk County Sheriff's Posse
- Sherburne County Sheriff's Office Mounted Patrol
- Sibley County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Steele County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Todd County Mounted Sheriff's Posse
- Washington County Mounted Patrol
- Winona County Sheriffs Mounted Posse
- Wright County Sheriff's Office Mounted Patrol
None found so far
- Missouri Emergency Response Service (MERS) (St. Louis County)
- Eureka Fire Protection District Mounted Search and Rescue Team (St. Louis and Jefferson Counties)
- Wild Land Mounted Search Team - Please call 308-991-8602 for more information while the site is down
- N.H. Governor's Horse Guards Search Unit (a resource for N.H. Fish & Game, Unit IV only) -- See the article Governor's Horse Guards No Longer Ceremonial
None found so far
- Sheriff's Posse Urgent Response Squad: contact via Towner County Sheriff's Office
- East Fork Mounted Search and Rescue (Clermont County)
- Tri-State Search and Rescue (Hamilton County)
- Hardin County Mounted Posse
- Holmes County Sheriff's Department MSAR Unit
- Knox County Kokosing Valley Mounted Search & Rescue
- Medina County Sheriff's Mounted Unit
- Mounted Posse Horseback Search & Rescue Team (Ross County)
- Summit County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol
- Warren County Mounted Search Team
- Baker County Sheriff's Posse
- Clackamas County Sheriff's Posse
- Columbia County Mounted Posse
- Coos County Sheriff's Posse
- Crook County Search and Rescue
- Deschutes County SAR
- Douglas County Mounted Search and Rescue
- Harney County Sheriff's Posse
- Jackson County Sheriff's Mounted Search and Rescue Unit
- Josephine County Sheriff's Posse
- Klamath County Sheriff's Posse
- Lincoln County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Mounted Posse (Scroll down to mounted unit info.)
- Multnomah County Sheriff's Mounted Posse Reserve Unit
- Yamhill County Search and Rescue
None found so far
- Lowcountry Mounted Search and Rescue (Charleston County)
- Richland County Sheriff's Posse
- S.T.A.R.R. Team (Search Tactics and Rescue/Recovery): This team has K9, ground and mounted units.
- Civil Air Patrol 53rd (Philip) Mounted Patrol (Haakon County)
None found so far
- Statewide: The United Mounted Peace Officers of Texas (TUMPOT) (According to their website, there are 102 mounted units in 254 counties in the state of Texas.)
- East Texas Mounted Search and Rescue
- Grayson County Sheriff's Posse
- Guadalupe County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Harris County Sheriff's Department Mounted Patrol and Posse
- Jim Wells County Mounted Sheriff's Posse
- Kleberg County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol
- Medina County Sheriff's Mounted Posse
- Montgomery County Search & Rescue Team
- Texas EquuSearch (North Galveston County)
- Parker County Sheriff's Posse
- Randall County Randall County Sheriff's Posse
- Rockwall County Sheriff's Posse
- Williamson County Sheriff's Posse
- Wise County Sheriff's Department Mounted Patrol
- King County Northwest Horseback Search and Rescue
- Peninsula Mounted Search and Rescue (Pierce County)
- Walla Walla County Sheriff's Office SAR Mounted Patrol
See also: MSAR post with a list of Mounted units in Washington counties, including independent groups
- Whitewater Area Mounted Search Team and Rescue (WAMSTAR) (Jefferson, Rock, and Walworth Counties)
- Northwoods Mounted Search and Rescue (Oneida County): See http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/nmsr/
- North Pines Mounted Search and Rescue (Serving Polk County and surrounding counties)
- Valley Mounted Volunteers: a non profit, volunteer group of horse riders and non riders based in the Fox Valley of Wisconsin, with members spread across Outagamie, Calumet, Waupaca and Dodge counties.
None found so far
Is Your Unit Missing or Has Your Website Moved?
If you have information about a Mounted SAR unit not listed in the directory, or if you find inaccurate information or a broken link, please let me know here in the Guestbook below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for Ground/Mountain, K9 or International SAR Teams? See more directories on....
- Deb's Search & Rescue Stories
My own SAR experience, team directories, Search & Rescue reading, and more