- Politics and Social Issues
What Does Traveling and Feeding the Poor Have in Common?
Traveling to help Feed the Poor
When you think of traveling you may tend to think vacation, recreation and relaxation and for some, you would be right.
But for others traveling has a different meaning. I'm going to share a bit of a different spin on the traveling adventures of our family.
My husband is a Lutheran Pastor and a speaker for the relief organization called Food For the Poor.
Traveling nearly every weekend to bring awareness for this worthwhile cause has become a habit in this house and a privilege to serve.
Even though the kids and I stay behind, it's still our mission to support Dad in his travels and time away from us.
As you read on you will see traveling has taken on a whole new meaning. I will be sharing with you facts about this highly efficient christian organization and I invite you to read to the end, allowing me to share with you more information regarding our great adventure spreading the Word.
By the end, If you should feel lead to join in the venture and start your own type of journey of bringing awareness into your community you may possibly consider partnering with Food For the Poor to bring the message to your community.
Does it mean you have to travel every weekend?
Certainly not, listed below are just a few of the ways you can help out.
Regardless, thank you for stopping by. I hope you find this enjoyable and informative.
My prayer for you is that it fills you with joy in the hope of the work that is being done and those that are being served.
WHO IS FOOD FOR THE POOR?
Mark 1:17 "I will make you fishers of men."
There are always many options for serving. Here are just few suggestions.
- Invite a Speaker to Your Church
- Become a Food For the Poor Champion
- Purchase items from Gift Catalog
- Join a Giving Club
- Employer Matching Program
- Shop Amazon.com through the smile.amazon.com program
Who Is Food For the Poor
Who is Food For The Poor? - A Relief and Development Organization
Food for the Poor is the largest international Christian relief and development organization in the U.S. and serves the poorest of the poor in 17 countries in the Caribbean, Latin America and the U.S.
Chartered in 1982, Founder of Food for the Poor, Ferdinand G. Mahfood, has grown this organization to the fifth largest recipient of private support.
But Food For the Poor can not do this alone. They have grown this large through the service of many faithful supporters and partners.
Food for the Poor raises a portion of their funding through a speaker's bureau consisting of a staff of clergy from different denominations, in addition to other means. Each priest, pastor or minister is given a weekend assignment to their respective denomination to speak bringing awareness and working to create partnerships with the many congregations that are visited.
There are many outstanding facts about Food For the Poor the most being is that their operations work on less than 4 cents of every dollar. That means that for every dollar that is donated 96+ cents goes straight to aid to help the poorest of the poor. Be sure to look at the chart below for the breakdown.
Food for the Poor Mission Statement
Our mission is to link the church of the First World with the church of the Third World in a manner that helps both the materially poor and the poor in spirit.
The materially poor are served by local churches, clergy and lay leaders who have been empowered and supplied with goods by Food For The Poor.
The poor in spirit are renewed by their relationship with and service to the poor through our direct ministry of teaching, encouragement and prayer.
Ultimately, we seek to bring both benefactors and recipients to a closer union with our Lord.
Food for the Poor, Inc.
Food for the Poor Vision Statement
Food For The Poor is God's instrument to help the materially poor and to renew the poor in spirit.
Our ministry is a reflection of our Lord's unconditional love-a love that surrenders all, that inspires trust and faith, and that embraces all people, regardless of race, status or creed.
It is also shaped by our belief that Christ is alive and can be served directly by serving those in greatest need. (Matthew 25:40)
For guidance and to maintain the purity of our mission, we stress the need for regular prayer.
Through surrender, service and prayer, we seek a closer union with our Lord.
Food for the Poor, Inc
2013 Expenditures - Pictures are worth a thousand words. Need I say more?
What Does Food For the Poor Do? - AID AND RELIEF
- Food For the Poor has provided approximately $11 billion in aid.
- 2013 Food For the Poor distributed millions of pounds of food helping millions of malnourished children and their families.
- 2013 Food For the Poor has distributed over 3,518 containers of aid.
- To date, Food For the Poor has distributed nearly 66,000 containers working through pastors, missionaries and churches in these regions, to ensure that aid reaches those who need it most..
Luke 9:13 Jesus replied, "You give them something to eat."
HOW CAN I HELP?
What Does Food for the Poor Do? - WATER
- Food for the Poor has completed more than 1,720 water projects including water pumps, showers and sanitation to families, villages and communities in need.
- Food for the Poor has installed water tanks and solar purificators in Port-Au-Prince for earthquake victims.
John 4:14 "But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst".
WHAT CAN MY CONGREGATION OR ORGANIZATION DO TO HELP?
What Does Food for the Poor Do? - HOUSING
- In 2013, FFP built 6808 houses.
- To date, Food For the Poor has built more than 91,000 housing units.
Luke 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock.
HOW CAN MY EMPLOYER HELP?
What Does Food for the Poor Do? - EDUCATION
- Food for the Poor through the 'Angels of Hope' program sponsors more than 3300 children from 115 orphanages providing for their education, clothing, food, shelter and lots of care and love.
- In the US school is required, but in destitute areas school is a privilege and sometimes a dream. Food For the Poor, through donations, are able to provide schools for these children and supplying them with classroom set up such as desks, supplies, computers and books for learning.
- Food For the Poor has repaired or constructed over 29 schools.
Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
HOW CAN MY COMMUNITY DO TO HELP?
What Does Food for the Poor Do? - MEDICAL CARE
- Food for the Poor ships and distributes millions of dollars of medical supplies and medicines through numerous clinics and hospitals each year.
Matthew 9:12 Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.
Food For The Poor - Worship and Praise
Audio CD of Praise and Worship for your listening pleasure. Very inspiring lifting voices for praise.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY
Matthew 13:19 This is the seed sown along the path.
What Does Food for the Poor Do? - TEACH TRADE
- Food for the Poor invests in long-term solutions by providing training and materials for a variety of marketable trades.
- Food for the Poor has provided over 2600 fish ponds allowing the poor to earn a living and provide needed food.
- Food for the Poor contributes and plants fruit trees, teach trade skills and provide animals to help families succeed in sustaining their families needs.
John 21:19 Jesus said "Follow me!"
Here Is Where You Can Find More Information
“As each one has received a gift, use it to serve another as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” (1 Peter 4:10)
Food For The Poor - Saving lives, transforming communities, renewing hope - Food For The Poor, named by The Chronicle of Philanthropy as the largest international relief and development organization in the nation, feeds millions of hungry people thro
Food For The Poor, named by The Chronicle of Philanthropy as the largest international relief and development organization in the nation, feeds millions of h...
The latest Tweets from Food For The Poor (@FoodForThePoor). The largest international relief and development organization in the nation, feeding millions in the countries we serve. Text SAVE to 25383 to donate $10. Coconut Creek, FL
Joy in the Journey
God's Love is Everywhere
Thank you for visiting and allowing me to share our family's journey.
As my gift to you for staying and visiting with me I'd like to share with you a poem my husband wrote for me in 2003.
I attending a retreat and the theme was 'Joy in the Journey' and my husband graciously created this poem as a token for the retreat.
I thought it was very appropriate for the topic discussed here and I decided to include it as my thank you for reading til the end.
I hope you enjoy it.
"Joy In the Journey"
As you walk along the road of life: take great joy in the journey. For there is One who walks with you: Christ Jesus, Lord of Glory.
Though life's meand'ring paths at times may lead you far astray, He's there to lead you gently back upon God's holy way.
So with each step in faith recall: He walked life's road for you. To Hell He trod for one and all: to cleanse us and renew.
Each loving step he took for us our treach'rous road did brighten, There is no valley dark with fear His presence can't enlighten.
Your destiny is not your own: you are Christ's blood-bought purchase. Forget not as you track toward Home: He guides us with deep purpose.
He wills for all who wander lost to find God's shelter safe, And bids us as we journey on to scatter seed of faith.
Food For The Poor Message
Did You Find a Way to Help?
I appreciate your stopping by to see what's happening in my world. If you have a story or comment you'd like to share with ways you, your family, your congregation, your organization are involved in either your community or nationwide. Share your experiences with us.
God bless your gifts.
© 2010 Teri Hansen