- Gender and Relationships
10 Things A Girl Can Do On a Dateless Night
10 Things To Fill Up Your Free Time
1. Hang out with the girls. This is the most obvious and overlooked of all the things you can do when you are suddenly without a date, or constantly without a date. Find a place to hang out at and make sure to make it an all-girl night. Or have a sleepover that involves margaritas, rock music, and dancing with Ben and Jerry.
2. Go to the movies or have a movie marathon at home. There is something satisfying in watching something that can transport you away mentally for an hour or more. There are a variety of ways you can watch a show nowadays that aren't limited to cable and the movie theater. Netflix has new releases all the time and YouTube has lots of people with horror stories related to bad dates. Those horror stories actually make a dateless night seem like heaven.
3. Read a really good book. There are so many books to choose from that the biggest problem would be choosing which one will be the lucky one to capture your interest and keep your mind off of dating altogether. This means no romance, unless you like torturing yourself!
4. Go find a date. There are local bars, clubs, hangouts in almost every city. There are also plenty of places online where you can find someone, anyone, to go out with you at a moment's notice. There may be lack of quality in who you find on such a short notice but the fact is there are a lot of lonely singles out there who just want some company at the local diner. Just treat the person meeting you as you would a blind date or invite him to a group outing with your coupled friends. They can give you an idea of whether to ditch his number or bring him around for a second date.
5. Try to learn something new that you always wanted to learn. Try out a new language or a skill-building class for something you have an interest in. There are online courses that are for one night only and the only thing you need is to register, pay for your lesson, and turn on your webcam to attend. You can also find a local seminar for something you want to know more about. You may even end up seated next to someone who wants to learn more about you than the subject of study!
6. Talk to someone on a chat site or find a forum and ask a question that you've been longing to find the answer for. There are all kinds of places that allow you a chance to have a voice online. You might find yourself making a new friend or getting information from a source you didn't realize was there. You may even find you like debating with others about different subjects.
7. Start a new hobby. It can be something that brings you into a group of new people and places or something that is more solitary. Hobbies can be expensive and take up a lot of time or totally free and just meant to fill up extra time. Some people even find their hobbies lead them to a new career or become great side jobs.
8. Chat or hangout with someone you haven't seen or talked to in a long time. The longer a period of time that you have not spoken to them the more you will have to talk about. This may also give you an opportunity to network with people who may have been in your circle but unknown to you. Perhaps you might even find it makes you feel younger and ready for adventures, with or without a partner, as you reminisce about the fun you used to have in your earlier single days.
9. Become a foodie. Try a new restaurant or type of food. Start rating the food you get as though you are a top expert. Take images of your food. Share your favorite new places to eat and drink. Maybe along the way you'll find not just the food is tasty but the eye candy is as well. That extra seat may not be empty for long and you may find yourself sharing dessert with a new friend who is actually rating you five-stars.
10. Start a blog about your dateless nights. You can challenge yourself to make it a point to have more dateless nights so you can actually have a topic for your blog. If writing isn't something you are good at you can try to vlog your dateless night activities. YouTube is always looking for more to put out to viewers and listeners. Why shouldn't it be you? And who knows...maybe one of your subscribers just might put an end to your dateless night blog or vlog and you'll have to find a new topic to share with others. Maybe even ones that are wedding-related.
In The Company Of Books
In my many dateless nights I have had lots of time to read. Some might say I even studied on those nights as most of what I read had to do with how to date, or how to discover my soul's true goals, so when the opportunity of a date became available I would be ready.
Below is a list of some of the books I thought were most helpful and interesting to read on those nights alone:
"How To Date Men: Dating Secrets from America's Top Matchmaker" - Janis Spindel
"Everything Happens For A Reason" - Mira Kirshenbaum
"The Soulmate Secret: Manifest the Love of Your Life with the Law of Attraction" - Arielle Ford
"Think Your Way to the Life Your Want: A Guide to Understanding How Your Thoughts and Beliefs Create Your Life" - Bruce I. Doyle III, Ph.D.
"In Real Life: Love, Lies, and Identity in the Digital Age" - Nev Schulman
"You Can Heal Your Life" - Louise L. Hay
For Entertainment Purposes
Remember that a dateless night isn't the end of the world, sometimes it's just the end of the week. You can try to make it work for you instead of against you by providing yourself ready entertainment such as:
- Books or magazines that you think would be interesting enough to keep you from staring at your phone.
- A variety of friends and relatives to hang out with so you can take an unexpected trip to the casino or the movies.
- Hobbies or interests that you love so that you can easily slip into self-absorbed mode when no one is available to hang out with you on short notice.
- When all else fails there is always a barrage of drama on FaceBook to turn to.