10 Reasons to Dump a Boyfriend - He's Probably a Sociopath
He's smart. He's charming. You're crazy about him. Even if your friend's say that he's a liar.
Sure you’re crazy about him. After all, he’s charming, good looking and intelligent. You’re the center of his life. And even if he’s sometimes rude or dishonest with friends and family (his or your own), he’s always good to you. Other people just don’t understand. These are the signs of a sociopath.
Well, honey, looks aren’t everything. Before you marry a sociopath or start having children with him, surrender your precious life to him, you need to take a good objective look. Is your guy a sociopath?
1) He’s lied to you three times. That you know of. The lying won’t stop.
2) In arguments, his logic trumps your emotions and morals. When disagreements arise, he makes you feel inadequate, stupid or crazy.
3) He is contemptuous of others. Soon it will be you. Or your children.
4) He’s never wrong.
5) He does not show remorse. Everything is somebody else’s fault. If he did or said something out of line, he refers to it as something ‘that happened,’ not something he did or said.
6) People close to you warn you about him. Their vision isn’t clouded by "love." Others don’t understand him but you do. You can save him from his martyrdom.
7) He goes for cheap thrills – sex, drugs, booze, out-of-the-norm, unhealthy, or compulsive behavior
8) He can be charming and often gets his way by appearing more clever than you or other people.
9) His good acts never go unnoticed. He is heroic! (It's all about him)
10) He has notions of entitlement because he is better than everybody else.
How many popular songs have been written about this guy? While it all seems romantic now, if he is a sociopath, it’s all an act. Maybe he is happy. Because he is getting what he wants. Of course he is good to you. His ‘goodness’ is the bait. Your children will be the hook. You will become, in due time, his victim.
Not All Sociopaths are Savage Killers
We tend to associate sociopaths with famous examples like Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, and James Jones. But not all sociopaths cut such a huge swath. The average sociopath may be somewhat successful and may never kill anyone. The average sociopath may steal all your money, cheat on you, make you feel small and stupid, or cause turmoil and heartache in your family.
When presented with obvious evidence of wrong doing, he will not address the evidence but attack you. He will try to twist your words or motivation in an effort to make you feel inadequate. When caught publicly, the sociopath will refer to his wrong-doing as something that happened, unable or unwilling to admit that he was at fault.
In 'Night of the Hunter,' Robert Mitchum plays a sociopath posing as a man of God
Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Anti-Social Personality Disorder
It has been suggested that the character I described is actually someone with narcissistic personality disorder, and, indeed, there are similarities. Also, one personality disorder can combine with another personality disorder as well as other psychiatric problems.
Narcissistic personality disorder occurs three times more in men than in women. The person with narcissistic personality disorder wants and feels he deserves the best of everything. That sense of entitlement makes him condescending and arrogant. He feels specially gifted and talented and may be preoccupied with power and success and a need for admiration. He feels no empathy with other people and will become defensive if criticized. He'll appear deeply wounded when his wrong doings are pointed out.
Obviously, someone with narcissistic personality disorder can be difficult to deal with or live with. He can cause great emotional hurt to those who love him.
But the difference between narcissistic personality disorder and the anti-social or sociopathic person is that the person with narcissistic personality disorder are merely callous and unfeeling in their treatment of others.
The sociopath's manipulative behavior is calculated and premeditated. The sociopath needs a victim and herein lies the danger.
Why didn't you listen to your mother?
Profile of a Sociopath
How to Spot a Liar Early On in a Relationship
- 6 Signs He's A Pathological Liar
While women are certainly capable of lying and manipulation, they tend to do it a bit differently than men. For example, your typical run-of-the-mill, no-good female may lie about how much she loves you --...