27 Life Lessons To Get You Through Your Twenties!
I turned 27 earlier this year, and I realized I've learned quite a lot about life in the past 27 years. I don't consider myself to be an expert on life (by any means), but I have done, seen, and experienced a lot so far.
Here are some of the things that I've learned about life, love, friendships, and being a woman along the way (as well as some inspirational quotes by people with more experience in life than myself ;)):
Don't worry about what other people are doing. Just because someone else is doing something in their life, it doesn't mean you have to. We're all on different paths and that's okay.
Take some time out to just do “nothing” for a while. It'll refresh your soul.
It's never too late to change things. If you don't like something about your life, do what you can to change it.
Never be afraid to ask for help. Sure, the person you ask might say no, but at least you asked.
Also, never be afraid to ask a “stupid” question. If you don't know something, ask someone who does. The only time a question is stupid is when you keep it to yourself.
Be open to learning new things. Even if you don't think you have a use for that knowledge right now, you might have a use for it later on.
It's okay to not have life “figured” out. There's no deadline to knowing what you want to do with your life. You can figure it out at 20 or you can figure it out at 50. It doesn't matter.
Don't ever let anyone define you. You know who you are better than anyone else in the world. Never forget that.
Always try. Even a failure is a win; you still gain a new experience and a new life lesson.
There will be times when you feel down and like life isn't worth living. It is. Just give it time. Everything gets better eventually. Hold on and reach out to the people closest to you. It will get better. It always, always does.
11. Never try too hard to impress someone you want to date. If they are meant to be with you, they'll love you for exactly who you are: flaws, quirks, embarrassing moments and all.
12. Don't stress out about being single. Enjoy the time when you are alone- it may be rare (because one day you'll have a spouse and a family), or it may be the way your life will always be; either way, it's good to value the time spent by yourself.
13. Don't try to change the person you're in a relationship with. You can encourage them and motivate them, but it's up to THEM if they want to take your advice and change. Try to love someone for who they are with their flaws; if you can't, they aren't the right person for you.
14. Don't be afraid to fall in love. As my one of my favourite quote says, “It is a risk to love. What if it doesn't work out? Ah, but what if it does?” (Peter McWilliams)
15. Don't rush into a relationship. Let things happen naturally. Take your time. Choosing a spouse or life partner is the biggest decision you'll ever make, so make sure you're making the right one.
16. Never stay with someone who doesn't value you. This is a no-brainer, but if someone doesn't value you or puts you down, leave them, You deserve better.
17. You'll make a lot of friends in life, but only a few of those friendship will last.
18. You can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends. Choose friends that will be like family for you- you'll need that sort of relationship in life.
19. Never undervalue a friendship. Some relationships come and go, but a true friend lasts forever.
20. It takes two to make a real friendship work. Don't let them be the only one calling or inviting you out- show them that you care and make an effort too.
21. This can also go in the “love” category, but never be afraid to apologize. If you've done something wrong, don't be ashamed to be the first to say “sorry.” If you're at risk of losing a great relationship, humbling yourself isn't a big deal at all.
On Being A Woman:
22. Never wear a pair of uncomfortable shoes just to impress a boy. Chances are he's not looking at your shoes anyway ;)
23. It's okay to go out without make-up on. No one can look flawless all the time (except Beyonce).
24. Never compare your body or looks to other women. We are all different, and we are all beautiful. You don't have to be thin to be sexy, and you don't have to be curvy to be sexy, either. Find your own definition of sexiness and beauty, embrace it and then show it to the world.
25. Don't worry so much about what you eat. Yes, it's okay to eat pizza and it's okay to eat ice cream, and it's also okay to eat salad and chicken breasts. Eat what you want as long as you feel good about yourself and you're healthy.
26. The best beauty accessory is a big smile. Smile often and you'll always look beautiful.
27. Treat yourself to a spa day or a massage every now and then. We all deserve a little pampering :)
Do you agree with this list of advice? Have any to add of your own? Let me know in the comments section!
© 2014 Brittany Doherty