- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
30 Fun Ways to Propose Marriage
It's About Time!
Yes or No?
You have finally found the love of your life. You are ready to spend the rest of your life with your partner. You are prepared to commit to marriage.
It's time to plan your marriage proposal. You don't want to just propose. You want the moment to be memorable and unique.
You ponder a few ideas. You ask a family member or friend in confidence for suggestions. You might even use Google for advice.
I hope you find these ideas useful or better yet, you take a few ideas and make them your own.
This list is useful for any type of relationship. It's not just the man who proposes to the female anymore. Females are now taking the initiative. If you are in a same sex relationship, this list will be useful for you also.
If you do happen to use one of the ideas listed please post a comment and let me know. I wish you good luck with your upcoming nuptials.
Planning A Marriage Proposal Doesn't Have To Be Stressful
I Now Introduce Mr & Mrs
- Place your "Will You Marry Me?" message in a bottle. Ask a friend to place the bottle in a certain area where you will be. Suggest a walk on the beach to your significant other. Imagine her surprise when she spots the bottle and reads your message!
- Invite your girlfriend over for dinner. Spell out "Will You Be My Wife?" with A-Z Spaghettios!
- Send her a text proposal while sitting in the same room. Be prepared with champagne, chocolates and Train's song "Marry Me" playing on your smart phone.
- Go for a hike. Be prepared beforehand and have a banner hanging above your path displaying your proposal. Be sure you are both on the same path at the time.
- Use your artistic abilities and draw your proposal with chalk on a walkway.
- Have a scavenger hunt. Give romantic clues. Eventually the list will lead to the question.
- Play Hangman _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _?
- Make a video proposal. Be clever. Make a slideshow of your favorite photos as a couple.
- Using her favorite shade of lipstick write your proposal on the bathroom mirror. Add a check yes or no box.
- Place a ring in a container of Tic-Tacs. Do NOT suggest she needs a tic-tac, that would place a damper on the moment if she's thinking that you are thinking she has bad breath. Just pull out the container, pop one in your mouth (carefully) and most likely she'll ask for one. Well, hopefully she will.
Mom Will You Marry Dad?
Train - Marry Me
Marry Me Please!
11. Mention you need a tax deduction, hopefully she'll need health insurance. Sounds like a good plan to me.
12. Create a hub, here on HubPages expressing your love and ask for her hand in marriage.
13. Have a Balloon Pop. Place a piece of paper in four balloons and a ring in the fifth. One balloon will have Will, another You, continue with Marry, Me and the ring.
14. Create a Jigsaw Puzzle with your favorite photo as a couple. Once it's completed, pop the question.
15. Go old school and place the ring in a box of Cracker Jacks. I bet that's one "toy surprise" she'll never forget.
16. Plan to meet up at the first place you met. Whether it was the produce department at the grocery store or at a friends party. Arrange to have a photographer hiding nearby to capture the moment. What woman wouldn't want to be proposed to among the mounds of apples and sprigs of parsley?
17. Arrange a day of pampering for your significant other and a few of her friends. Treat them to manicures and pedicures. Have them meet you at a restaurant for a cocktail afterwards. This is when you'll pop the question. I guarantee her friends would accept you if they didn't before.
18. If you have a child or children, have them wear a t-shirt that says, "Will You Marry My Dad?"
19. Plan a date at a Pottery Place and suggest you make plates. While you are creating your masterpiece write your proposal on the plate. She'll have an everlasting memory of your special moment.
Chandler and Monica's Proposal
Diamond Engagement Ring - Amazon
With These Rings I Thee Wed
21. Purchase a copy of the "Marriage for Dummies" book. Place it in an obvious place for her to spot. Tell her you don't know where it came from. Hopefully she'll flip through the book and discover your proposal which will be written in the center of the book with a red marker. Hopefully she also has a good sense of humor.
22. Using her favorite color ribbon tie a ring around her precious pets collar.
23. Write your proposal on a dry erase board or a chalk board. Wrap it with pretty paper. Have the ring hidden within a festive bow. The board would make a nice conversation piece in your home, unless she erases the proposal and uses it for your honey-do list instead.
24. Score some tickets to her favorite sporting event. Have four friends with you who will each hold up a sign Will, You, Marry, Him during intermission.
25. If you are really daring you could post a status update on Facebook asking for her hand in marriage. I bet you'd get many "likes" or maybe not. Like I said, depends how daring you are.
26. Propose at Disney, it's the happiest place on earth. If you time it correctly, you could have a state of the art fireworks display bursting in the sky immediately following her response. Your dreams could come true.
27. Prepare a romantic meal. Place her ring in a champagne flute. Be careful she doesn't ingest the diamond.
28. If you are fans of the Friends TV show, how about watching the episode when Chandler proposes to Monica and follow with your proposal. Good luck with that one, that's a tough proposal to follow. No pressure!
29. If you are both avid Twitter users ask a favorite celebrity of the both of yours to join in on the fun and tweet your proposal for you!
30. Purchase an ad in your local newspaper. She could read your proposal over her morning coffee. Maybe she'll also purchase an ad with her answer.
Congratulations to Jennifer & David
Bonus Marriage Proposal Idea...
I heard a marriage proposal on my favorite radio station this morning. The caller asked the radio hosts if he could propose to his girlfriend via a song he wrote. He admitted he didn't have any vocal talent and he was correct, but he had nerves of steel.
The radio hosts phoned the girlfriend who was a bit in shock, but soon she was in tears saying, "YES" after her boyfriend proposed via song. It was a cute and romantic marriage proposal idea. She wanted him to come home from work pronto, but he promised to put the ring on her finger as soon as work was over. Awww!
This concludes my unique list of ideas. You are now on your own. Remember to be clever and capture the memories on photo or video if possible.
Make your proposal memorable. Try your best not to be nervous or anxious. Your emotions could make or break your plan. Try to have moral support on stand-by, such as a good friend or family member who could have your back if you should panic.
Wishing you much success with your journey. May you have many wonderful years of wedded bliss.
More Articles by Sunshine
- Open Letter To My Future Husband
Online dating is an option that single people turn to when searching for a mate. Writing an open letter is another option...
- 50 Ways to Keep Your Lover
This list is my opposite take of Paul Simon's song 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover...
- First Dance Wedding Song Videos
The perfect song for your first dance as bride and groom could be a difficult decision. I've compiled some videos to help you out.
- Love and Marriage...WWSD - What Would Sunshine Do?
Are you getting married? Do you know someone who is getting hitched? My daughter was married on May 13, 2011 and this was some of my advice to her and her hubby.
- How to Romance Your Partner
Random tips to romance your partner.
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu