5 Movie Date Ideas for a Romantic Night In
There's something so fun and unique about having a romantic date night in with your partner.
You don't need to book any tables or stand in any queues, you don't have to worry about sitting next to someone eating cheese popcorn at the movies, and you don't need to worry about sitting next to a loud couple at a posh restaurant - ruining your idea of a romantic night out.
It's a lot more special and intimate having a private movie night in with the one you love.
Movie nights are one of the most popular date night choices - especially for couples looking to save money and who would prefer being at home for the evening. Movie date nights are inexpensive and lots of fun, plus you have the opportunity to cuddle up with your partner on the couch.
What could be better?
Except, there are times when this might get a little boring and predictable - choosing once again from the limited selection of the latest DVD's available to rent.
Maybe you're looking at spicing up your romantic night in with your partner or adding a twist to the run-of-the-mill movie date night.
Here are five fun movie date night ideas that you can really play around with. Surprise your partner with a home movie night to remember!
Romantic Movie Night
A romantic movie night theme can be ever so whimsical, elegant and tasteful, sexy or completely over the top - it's up to you.
This is your opportunity to shower your partner with love and show them your romantic side.
Set the Scene:
- Light candles around the living room. You can use whatever candles you have available - the trick is to keep the room dark and intimate.
- Add a touch of magic by filling the air with one or two incense sticks that you've lit. There are so many scents to choose from - everything from strawberry, chocolate, sandalwood, ocean breeze, etc.
- Sprinkle rose petals on the floor and on the couches, or place single stemmed roses across the coffee table.
Five Romantic Movies
- The Notebook
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- The Lake House
Romantic Food Ideas
- Strawberries dipped in chocolate
- Chocolate fondue with marshmallows and cookies
- Champagne or wine
- Chocolate brownies
- A platter of different cheeses and pickles
- Prawn and avocado cocktails
Scary Movie Night
A scary movie night is the perfect opportunity to snuggle up close to your partner for those spooky, terrifying or gruesome scary movie scenes.
Your theme can be based on the edge-of-your-seat thriller movies, or on gut-wrenching horror movies, or you can mix in both to keep it really interesting!
Set the Scene:
- Keep all lights off, you could light one or two candles for light around the room, or even put on a side table lamp with a dark piece of material draped across the top.
- You'll want to make sure that you have plenty of blankets or pillows around in easy reach for those squeamish scenes.
- If you really feel like being sneaky and you're 100% sure your partner won't have a heart attack - buy a cheap mask or use what you have at home in the form of a mask, wait for a really spine-chilling part of the movie and have some fun! (Only do this if you know your partner can take it in good fun - there's no reason to ruin a perfectly fun date night!)
Five Scary Movies
- Rosemary's Baby
- The Ring
- Jeepers Creepers
- The Fourth Kind
Scary Food Ideas:
- Caramel popcorn
- Hot dogs
- Licorice sticks
- Toffee apples
- Fruit punch
The Fast and the Furious
Action Movie Night
An exciting date night in with your partner begins with a couple of fast-paced action movies that are sure to leave your adrenaline pumping.
Between rooting for the hero, shouting at the bad guy and watching those breathtaking and death defying stunts, this action movie night theme will be anything but boring!
Set the Scene:
- Move the couches and other furniture in the room around so that you'll have plenty of space to jump around and high five each other when the good guy saves the day.
- Make sure your speakers and sound system is placed in prime positions to get the maximum effect for those explosive action scenes.
Five Action Movies
- Die Hard
- Con Air
- The Fast and the Furious
Action Food Ideas
- Sodas or beer
- Nachos with salsa and guacamole
- Sloppy Joes
- Steak and fries
- Potato crisps
- Spicy nuts
- Parmesan popcorn
Comedy Movie Night
Doubling over in laughter until you're crying or get a stitch in your side are exactly what comedy movie nights are made of.
There's nothing serious about this night - it's all about letting go and giving in to the slapstick or adult humour in these hysterical feel-good movies.
Set the Scene:
- Keep some tissues handy to wipe away those uncontrollable tears of laughter.
- Create even more hysterics by playing a game of tag / tickle during one of the really funny scenes.
- Make sure you have a few bottles of water on hand - laughing can be quite exhausting!
Five Comedy Movies
- Dumb and Dumber
- Meet the Parents
- The Hangover
- There's Something About Mary
- I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry
Comedy Food Ideas
- Honey roasted nuts
- Ice cream
- Meat on a stick
Fantasy Movie Night
Of all the movie themes, this is the theme that you can play around the most with.
Whatever your fantasy or the fantasy movie theme you've picked - you can turn your living room into an enchanting and secret destination for the two of you, for one night only!
Set the Scene:
- Dress up - pick out costumes, fancy clothes or any dress theme. These can be related to the movie, it can be pajamas or whatever else you can imagine.
- Decorate the living room with little gimmicky items related to the movie theme. For example, if you're watching Harry Potter movies, sprinkle some star confetti on the coffee table or pile books around the floor in large heaps.
- Move the furniture around into completely different positions to create more of an illusion, and a mini escape from reality.
Five Fantasy Movies
- The Hunger Games
- Star Wars
- The Lord of the Rings
- Harry Potter
- The Dark Knight Rises
Fantasy Food Ideas
- Peanut butter or chocolate popcorn
- Sour worms
- Misissippi Mud Pie
- Gummiberry Juice
- Blue Fried Potatoes (food colouring)
- Cheese spray and crackers
Which Movie Night theme out of the five is your favourite to try?
Melanie Chisnall is a freelance writer from Cape Town, South Africa.
She is a snack food junkie, and counts suspense/thriller, romantic comedy and action as her favourite movie genres.