Cute Date Ideas
It can be tough trying to think of good date ideas, especially if you're on a budget - cheap and free date ideas can be hard to come by. This list features 20 fantastic date ideas that will make a great impression, not break the bank, let you get to know the other person better, and most importantly: be fun!
1. Go Geocaching
Geocaching is a fun hobby where you try to find boxes that have been hidden all over the world. You get the GPS coordinates of the approximate location of a box, and then must try to find it.
This is a great idea to do as a couple, because it gets you outdoors, exploring new parts of town, and there's a great feeling of accomplishment when you're successful in your goal.
The Geocaching website has an app you can download in the Google play store.
2. Go to an Arcade
In the mood for some childhood nostalgia? Head to an arcade! Have fun playing the penny pushers, put your skills to the test with some strategic games, and maybe even walk away with the cliche giant stuffed toy!
3. See a movie
A classic for a reason. Choose a movie and go to the cinema and watch it. Make sure you organize to have a meal afterwards, so you can talk about the movie.
Try to use themes from the movie to branch into deeper discussions to learn more about the person you are dating. Good first dates are ones where you learn more about the other person.
Here are some examples (obviously only use ones that relate to your movie):
- What would they do if they were in the same situation as the main character?
- Were there any ethical questions raised? If so, what do they think the right course of action is?
- Do they think aliens exist?
- Do they believe in God?
- What happens after you die?
- What are their thoughts about technology, cloning, or other issues raised in the film?
4. Silent Date
Not recommended for first dates! This is a unique idea where you go out, but cannot talk to each other (or write anything down). You must communicate only with gestures, objects, touch, and your expression.
5. Go Stargazing
Get out of the city a bit if possible (away from light pollution) and find a nice spot to lie back, watch the stars, and talk about anything and everything. This can be a very romantic date.
If you're old enough, bring a bottle of wine!
6. Go to a Comedy Club
Everybody likes to have a good laugh! Go out to watch a live show with up-and-coming local performers.
7. Make A Gingerbread House
There's something strangely satisfying about building a gingerbread house. It takes time and coordination, and will be a three day long activity:
- buy the ingredients
- figure out the dimensions of your gingerbread house (I recommend using a template off the internet, since this can be hard to get right on your first try)
- make the gingerbread
- make the icing, and use it on the house. This is all you can do today, as you need to wait for the icing to dry so that your house is sturdy
- decoration time! Go crazy making your dream house together, covering the house (and surrounding areas) in candy and chocolate.
8. Go to a Roller-Skating Rink
Timeless fun, and a classic date idea! Rollerskating is popular with couples everywhere.
9. Go to a Class Together
Learn something on your date! Going to a class together can be great fun, and you'll be walking away with a new skill. Try a dance class, cooking class, homebrewing class, or anything else you're interested in!
10. Go On A Picnic
If the weather is nice, why not go on a picnic?
- blanket and a basket to keep everything in
- an ice block (to keep food chilled)
- bottle opener or corkscrew
- small cutting board
- cutting knife
- a plastic bag for rubbish
- salt and pepper
- dips and biscuits
- drinks: soft drink or wine
- sundried tomatoes
- potato chips
Why are you interested in date ideas?
11. Create Something Together
Do something creative together as a fun shared hobby.
- Head to an arts and craft store, buy some supplies, then get crafty!
- Make a video or start a Youtube channel together.
- Write a story together.
- Make an amazing, complicated food dish.
- If you both enjoy music, try making a song
12. Go to Thrift Shops
Have a fun day out rummaging through the strangest things you will ever see. You'll hear (and say) phrases such as:
"That's so ugly, why would somebody buy that?"
"What does this even do?"
"Oh, I've actually been looking for one of those!"
13. Build a fort!
Remember how exciting it was to build a fort out of pillows and blankets? Well, now that you're older and understand gravity and basic engineering, it will be even more awesome.
Work together to build a fort that your child selves would have been green with envy over. Incorporate blankets, cushions, chairs, tables, cardboard, whatever you have!
Once you've finished building your fort, enjoy it! Read, set up a movie in there, or play a game.
14. Go Hiking
Hiking is a great date activity! It's good exercise, gets you out into nature, lets you see some cool sights and also gives you plenty of time to talk and get to know each other better.
15. Play Laser Tag
Another classic childhood game, great for people who like tactical thinking and being active. Run around like loons obliterating your enemies (or each other) before going somewhere quieter, like a coffee shop.
16. Have an "Old People" Date Night
Flash forward fifty years. Imagine things to do on a date if you were that much older than you are now. Then go do them.
- Go to a matinee performance
- Feed the ducks in the park
- Listen to music from the 50s and 60s
- Wear old-timey clothes
- Go play bingo
- Be home by 6:30PM
17. Play Miniature Golf
Almost everybody likes a nice game of mini golf!
Some people are extremely competitive. Playing a game like mini golf can give you some insight into their personality... are they a gracious winner, or a bragger? If they don't win, are they a sore loser? Do they play fair, or try to cheat?
18. Google Mania
For a nice cheap date idea, buy a packet of googly eyes and some glue or blu-tak. Walk around town and let your creative sides come out as you look for places to stick pairs of the googly eyes.
Don't forget to take photos!
19. Go to a Museum
Museums can be fascinating places, and in many cities they are either free or quite cheap. Learn more about your date's interests and the world.
20. Check Out Some Live Music
There's something special about seeing a band live, and soaking in the atmosphere. Go online and check out if any bars near you have performers come in live. Otherwise, book some tickets for a concert.