51 Random Acts of Kindness
A few years back, I came across '29 gifts' at a bookstore.The book is based an autobiographical account of Cami Walker who at the age of 33 was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and her life took a drastic turn. As a remedy, she received an uncommon prescription from a friend, an African medicine woman named Mbali Creazzo: Give away 29 gifts in 29 days. Cami was skeptical but still started and was amazed by what unfolded during her month-long 'giving' journey.
After reading the book I joined29 days giving community online and started doing 29 days giving challenge on a regular basis till the site was shut down. And by the time it ended, I was kind of used to doing random acts of kindness on a daily basis and it has now become a habit.
A reminder from holiday season
The holiday season has the potential to bring out the best of human values in us. Love, kindness and compassion is in the air. Even when the days are shorter and colder, somehow we are overcome with the festive spirit and our hearts get bigger and warmer.
It's a reminder of what’s important in life—not our vocations and possessions but how good a human being we are, how we treat others and how we use our gifts to make this world a better place.The festive season inspires us not just to believe in magic, but also to create magic by focusing on giving over receiving
Have you had a kindness shown?
Pass it on;
‘Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another’s tears,
‘Til in Heaven the deed appears –
Pass it on.— Henry Burton
51 Random acts of kindness
A random act of kindness is a gift that costs nothing but is always appreciated. Here I have listed 51 random acts of kindness which you can put into practice and bring a smile on someone's face:
- A word of appreciation doesn't cost anything but can uplift someone who is feeling down or inspire someone to do even better.
- Donate old toys, storybooks or clothes to a charity or an orphanage.
- Feed the hungry by making an extra serving of dinner and giving it to a homeless person.
- Feed a stray animal or keep an earthen bowl filled with water and some grains outside for the birds.
- Gift a book to a friend or donate your old books to a library or old textbooks of your child to someone needy.
- Send cards with beautiful inspirational messages to your friends/coworkers anonymously.
- Buy chocolates for a kid in the departmental store.
- Pick up some litter from the road or neighborhood park which would otherwise be lying around.
- Stretch the hand of friendship to someone new or if you have fallen out with an old friend, be the first to set things right.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Express gratitude to the people who have made a difference in your life by sending them thank you notes.
- Donate blood.
- Go through your stuff and donate the things you don't need.
- Give another driver your parking spot.
- Invite a friend over for dinner.
- Volunteer for a noble cause.
- Drop off books & magazines to old age home and spend some time with the elderly.
- Stay after the party and help clean up.
- Gift a rose bud to someone on the street.
- Randomly hand out balloons to children at a park.
- Be an attentive listener to someone who needs to vent out.
- Help a child with his home assignment.
- Instead of sending a text message or an email, take the time to pick up the phone and call a friend.
- Bake a cake or cookies and share it with your co-workers.
- Buy hot chocolate for a homeless person on the street.
- Buy fodder for stray cows at cow shelter.
- Make care packages with combs, toothbrushes,soaps etc and give it to homeless people.
- Say thank you and sorry whenever needed.
- Hide an inspiring note in a library book.
- Give a generous tip to the waiter at a restaurant.
- Gift a piggy bank to a child and put a few coins in there to motivate him.
- Help your mother or spouse in the domestic chores.
- Give a glowing recommendation to a connection on linkedin or take time out to read and comment on someone's hub.
- Let go of a grudge.
- Give sincere compliments.
- Spread awareness about your favorite charity or a worthy cause by talking about it to others or emailing the people in your list.
- Be kind and affectionate to your pet and spend some time playing with him.
- Offer to babysit.
- Share a good blog post with your friends and leave a positive comment on the post.
- If you know some skill like playing guitar or knitting etc. then teach it to someone who is interested.
- Cook for a friend or a neighbour who is sick.
- Wave back to the children who wave at you.
- Knit or buy a warm sweater or cap or muffler for someone needy.
- Be polite to everyone you meet.
- Burn a cd of nice songs and gift it to a friend.
- Share a snack with your colleagues.
- Make a new friend today.
- Put some money in the donation box for charity.
- Offer a lift to someone.
- Help a co-worker with his work.
- Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible!
Lorraine Tan - Kindness Is In Me (Theme Song for Singapore Kindness Movement 2014)
© 2015 Shaloo Walia