7 Essential Ingredients to Being a Good Friend
Having a Good Friend is Priceless
I have learned over the years the importance of friendship, especially for women. I am lucky to have friends that I consider more like sisters and who are always there when things in my life aren’t going as planned (which is usually the case). These women come into my life, sometimes from things we have in common such as work, sometimes from our children and sometimes out of sheer luck. Not working outside the home leaves me depending on my friends for much more than a random conversation, they are my lifeline to the adult world and I use that lifeline often.
It doesn't always work out.....
Unfortunately not everyone is going to be your friend, in fact you may have friends that end up betraying your trust or just don’t belong in your life. It’s sad when that happens but it cannot always be avoided. Be a good friend and make sure you let people into your life that return the favor.
- Letting Go of Negative Frienships
Letting Go of the Negative People in Your Life A couple years ago I ended up in a friendship that took a negative toll on my life. This person wasn't a bad person, but for some reason the two of us just...
Be Worthy of Good Friends
In order to be worthy of the qualities that are found in a good friend you must first be a good friend yourself. Below I have listed 7 very important qualities in a good friend.
1. Listen. Being a good listener is an essential friend quality. A friend needs to know that they can count on you to listen to them when they need you to lend them an ear.
2. Be trustworthy. One of the quickest ways to end a friendship is to betray your friends trust. Be upfront about who you are and know that trust between friends is sacred.
3. Support. Even if you don’t always agree with the decisions of your friends it is important for them to know that you support them and always have their best interest in mind.
4. Let them know you care. Take some time out to do something special for them just like you would in any relationship. Send them a card, stop by or call when they are having a rough day and always remember their special occasions, such as a birthday.
5. Be good to their kids. One of the best things about the friends I have, is their relationship with my children. Be good to the people that are important to your friends, especially their children.
6. Don’t be a fair-weather friend. When things are going good for your friends be their number one fan and supporter, and if things in your friends lives aren’t going well you need to be there just the same. It is important for your friend to know that you aren’t just going to be around during the good times, that they can count on you during the good and the bad.
7. Accept that you are not going to always agree. This is something that not everyone understands. It is a myth that all friends think alike and some of the best friends in the world will be very different from yourself. Keep an open mind and respect what they believe in and how they live their life, you can learn a lot from friends that are not exactly like you.
Choose your Friends
Remember choose the right people to be in your life and treat them well, and you will find yourself surrounded by people that love you and will build memories that will last a lifetime.
Articles the Reader May Enjoy
- The 25 Best Love Quotes
It's so important that we acknowledge the friendships in our lives. I think of my friends as the family that I chose, and I feel so fortunate to have each one of them in my life. Whether it's a quick hug, or an in depth conversation, my friends can..