- Gender and Relationships
A Brides Steps to I DO
The Steps to I DO... Your Journey Down the Isle
So you are either engaged, or soon to be: Now What?
He has either popped the BIG question, or you know it's coming... now what? Planning, planning, oh wedding planning! Excitement, frustration, stress and glory, they all kind of blend together during this exciting period in a woman's life. There is the dress, the rings, who will be in your bridal party? Indoor or outdoor? Summer, spring fall or a winter wonderland wedding?
This is the time in your life when you need those closest to you in order to help keep your sanity and help sort through the millions of details. Be it parents, siblings or friends; the best first step during this amazing time is to gather a team to help you navigate your path to your special day. Remember: this is a milestone event in your life and the memories that you make on this day are going to be a treasured part of your future that you will look back on for a life time, so go for your fantasy.
The Key Point To-Do Lists Will Are Your Friend
The best friend of a bride, other than her flesh and blood best friend(s): will be a pen and notebook! So STOP, get your favorite pen (or two, as you will likely run out of ink -- I wish I was joking) and find a nice thick note book... once you have these two key elements sitting beside you, get ready to dig in!
NOTE: Use one page for each 'To-Do' item... these lists will help keep things sorted and easier to go check off, one piece at a time...
Cover the Basics
Who, what, where, why and when. Got those covered? Then you are great to go! But just what should be in each of those to-do lists?
Minister or Officiant
The countdown is on...
Food - for the rehearsal
Food - for the dinner
Your wedding dress
Wedding party attire
Invitations and Thank You Notes
Location for the vows
Location for the reception
Location for the wedding photos
Register for Wedding Gifts
Honeymoon - a night away? or a world tour??
Pick a location that has special meaning...
Future husband? By the time you are reading this... that one is already checked off <3
How long have you known your 'other half'?view quiz statistics
Pick a season: Summer, Spring, Winter Fall
Day's schedule (rehearsal, vows, reception & dinner)
What time of year is 'Your Magic Season'?
Once the Basics are Done...
So you have finished the basics of the Who, What, Where, Why and When... and then:
There are those magical touches to see to!
Some things you can do to can take your day from amazing to ineradicable:
- Special centerpieces - really add that twist of who you and your fiance are
- Lighting - add candles, add lit garland... use it to highlight special places at your reception for a stunning result
- Make a memory panel that has pictures and little stories of your love story - it will be something that your guests can enjoy and your can treasure... even store in your memory capsule
- Plan a unique and special dance (many couples will take dance lessons with an instructor who will help them cardiograph a dance that can even have a blend of multiple songs!
- Have a bucket of names to draw from; when drawing a name, that person has to come up and share a special memory -- this is GREAT to photograph!
- Have the bride read a letter to her new in-laws, and vice-versa with your (future) husband
Remember the Special Magical Touches
Have Fun With the Special Details of Your Day
Some people will take the traditional route down the isle... but others...
Do you want to have that iconic, classic wedding day? Or are you looking to make your day a bit more unique and a bit more memorable? If you want be a bit more 'out of the box' here is a list of great suggestions:
UNIQUE TOUCHES FOR YOUR SPECIAL DAY
- Use a guest book that has a photo slot for each guest to sign their names -- they will have their own space to write a special message, and you will have a precious visual memory of each guest
- At each table - have disposable cameras with a note card asking your guests to help take pictures of your reception... you might get some surprising shots!
- Have an empty memory time capsule set up... have a small stack of note papers asking the guests to write a 'memory or message to you and your husband' that will be opened on your tenth wedding anniversary... after your wedding day is over, you and your husband also put special pieces into the capsule (the bouquet, a wedding favor, a lock of hair...)
- Hire a fire-thrower - they can be amazing entertainment at night
- Have fireworks - Imagine having them go off when you have your first kiss or dance... magical
- Have a blank canvas to have your guests create a wedding memory for you (fingerprints, words, sayings)
Remember to have your day set up to enjoy!
So your special day will be here soon... that is the time when you, the bride needs to STOP! Make sure that you are not going to be running around seeing to 'this or that'. Ensure that you have a special person (or team) that knows what the deal is with your day. Arm them with a full 'Wedding Day Do List' and ask them to be in charge of the flow. This will free you up from seeing to anything other than the light in your new husbands eyes.
Remember: this is your once in a lifetime day! You deserve to enjoy it for everymoment of every second...
What special detail really matters the most to you?
If you had to pick your 'favorite' wedding detail, what would it be?
Make a memory out of the entire journey
Your wedding is not just about the actual day that you say your vows... but the journey to get there. Keeping a journal, making videos, emailing messages to yourself or your fiance... jot down all the special moments that brought you to this place in life; these are great memories that you can record to look back on for decades to come.
We would love to hear from you!
So the I-Do's are in the works, or maybe they are said and done... share a special memory... or memories about what made your day magical <3