Arete: be all that you can be
Does chasing after the attention of others lead you to fall on your face? Then start following your own path.
Arete: Greek, for excellence of any kind.
What does that mean? When it comes to love, the only kind you should focus on is love for yourself. But doesn't that sound selfish? No. Every day you should be taking steps to accomplish your goals. Become a better person. Lose weight if you're overweight. Work out if you're not toned. Eat healthy, and become balanced. Emotionally, be at peace with all you are. Don't like something about yourself? Change it. Take the negative aspects of your life out of the equation, and replace them with positive, helpful changes.
So what is self-love?
Before you can love anyone else, you have to love yourself first. To "be all that you can be" means that you will have to take steps to improve who you are as a human being. A person needs to be "complete" before they can be a compliment to anyone else's life. How can you test if you aren't complete? Ask yourself if you need someone in your life to be happy or are you happy on your own?
Jerry Maguire had it all wrong. No one can "complete us."
Become aware of yourself, and love each and every facet what makes you unique. Your personal development involves your soul, emotions, physical health, and finding a true love connection.
So where do you start?
Easy. Do what you love. What are you passionate about? What are your favorite things to do in your free time? What is it that makes you feel special (without someone telling you how beautiful you are)? When your focus in life is to please yourself above pleasing others, you are well on your way to finding your "happy place," and being Arete.
Maybe you like gardening, and seeing flowers you planted weeks before starting to bloom. Do it. Perhaps you like brushing a blank canvas with broad, heavy strokes of vibrant colors, creating emotions through a painting. DO IT. What about spending an hour on yourself meditating through yoga, or taking a hike through the woods to reflect on life? What is stopping you? How do you feel when you get there and are standing at the peak looking down at the clearing, taking in the majestic view? Pretty damn good, right? So go there, and feel pretty damn good!
Guys: if making lots of money is your measure of success, drop it. Success is how happy you are with your life. Any woman you want to please will see that, and love you for it. If she doesn't, she's not worth keeping around.
The lesson today: Love begins when you look inside yourself. Being "all that you can be" is the jumping board to becoming Arete, or great at everything in life. When you look in the mirror, do you love who you see? You should. And if you don't, then you have a lot of work to do.
Quotes to inspire you to become "all that you can be":
- "Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." - Vince Lombardi
- "The great and glorious masterpiece of man is to know how to live to purpose." - Michel de Montaigne
- "If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else." - Yogi Berra
- "There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something." - Henry Ford
- "To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: 'Leave no stone unturned.'" - Edward Bulwer Lytton
- "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." - Epictetus
- "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky
- "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson
- "Try not to become a man of success but a man of value." - Albert Einstein
- "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
- "Men's best successes come after their disappointments." - Henry Ward Beecher