- Gender and Relationships»
Benefits of Happy and Blissful Marriage!
Do you think marriage is good?
Benefits of Happy Marriage
Is marriage beneficial? We are living in times when marriage is losing its value. Divorce rates are escalating and many young people no longer believe in the age old institution called marriage. The failure rates are too high and it is too risky for them to give it a try. Co-habitation is seen as a new age mantra which is based on convenience without commitment. It is often found that men tend to gain mostly in marriage where as women tend to lose. They tend to do all the household work, child care and their jobs take a back seat. Hence, many educated, professional women are forsaking marriage to live a life of freedom. Is marriage really good? What about women, do they benefit from marriage?
Here, is a short summary of the hidden benefits that marriage provide to all, men and women, children and society:
1. Marriage is good for emotional health. For the first few years, married people might have emotional issues as they are adjusting to each other. However, once the ship starts sailing, married people tend to grow and become patient, emotionally healthy people. They tend to face the storms of life together and enjoy the closeness of each other. Hence, for men and women, marriage is good for the long term emotional health. If the married couples have children, the initial child rearing period can be testing period for new moms and dads. If the new parents can stand the ultimate challenge and face it together, the marriage becomes strong unit. It provides emotional security to the whole family. Married people cope up with challenges better as they can fall back on each other and receive emotional strength in times of need.
2. Marriage is good for physical health. Human beings are meant to live together and somehow, living with a married partner tends to motivate us to take care of ourselves and each other. Married people, especially men, are greatly helped by marriage in terms of good health. Single men and sometimes single women too, have a high probability to go towards unhealthy food habits, substance abuse, irregular schedules and less personal health care. There are always exceptions where single men or women are also taking good care of physical health and fitness.
On the other hand, married people have a high tendency to eat home cooked meals, exercise, relax and sleep at night. They tend to follow schedules and maintain their body healthy. Child rearing is a time when some mom and dad might forget themselves for a while but in the long run they catch up with their health. Soon, they realize they cannot neglect themselves as they are responsible for taking care of spouse and children. Hence, in long term, married people tend to maintain good physical health.
3. Marriage is good for financial health. Married people mutually benefit in their financial health. When both partners work together as team, they earn more, save more and benefit more. Married people tend to have more assets and saving as compared to single men or women. Many married women after giving birth to children, leave their jobs to focus on children for few years. However, it is observed, that combined income of family still tends to be better than single professional man or woman. Marriage also provides a robust financial backup to both partners. When one person is sick or retrenched from job, the other partner can still manage the finances and keep the ship floating. Two is always better than one. When one falls down, the other can pick up.
4. Marriage is good for children and society. Marriage provides a healthy environment for the children to grow. When married partners reciprocate, they manage time and money in such a way, that children get a balanced amount of everything. Single parents have a tough time in this area. If they work hard to earn money, they often lack time to give to their children.
Marriage is a big benefit to children. They become well adjusted human beings and grow physically, mentally and emotionally strong. Well adjusted children are a great asset to society as they become the backbone of next generation. They are capable of assisting social causes, help elderly and are less likely to go in direction of drug or crime. Hence, marriage helps children to grow in healthy environment.
Benefits of marriage and married life are too many. However, it is losing its meaning and value today. Lack of time and relationship skills is causing the barrier. Marriage is like a garden. We need to give water and time. With little time and water given regularly, it grows and becomes a success. Marriage is very important for children, family, society and the nations to grow.