Birthday Card Wishes and Greetings
Happy Birthday Message
Happy Birthday Greetings
"Happy Birthday!" is a common birthday message to write in a card. You can think of a more fun way to wish someone a happy birthday than a simple "happy birthday" greeting. Use the following examples of birthday greetings to help you get an idea of what you can write in your birthday cards.
You can add to these birthday messages and edit them to make them fit the person who will receive your birthday card greeting. Even though birthday messages are some of the most common messages people send, don't make your message common. As you look over the following greeting card message examples for birthday cards, think of the person who will receive your card. Make it personal, make it funny, and make it special.
Funny Birthday Messages
Funny birthday messages are extremely popular. Making fun of age is natural in birthday cards, so use these as inspiration to get your mind going. Make your funny message specific to the person your are writing to for extra humor.
- "A birthday is nothing more than a person's independence day.... It's the first step toward moving out of your mom's place. Happy Independence Day!"
- "Thank goodness for mom's being willing to put up with all the pains of birth, so we can get a party and gifts every year after on that day."
- "Why are birthdays such a celebration? Birthdays just remind us of our mortality and our curse of having to breath and eat on our own."
- "Who ever got the idea of celebrating birthdays anyway? Probably someone who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas."
- "The question isn't how many birthday spanking you get, but how many birthday spanking you need. The number grows exponentially."
Celebratory Birthday Messages
Celebratory birthday messages express the idea that you are celebrating their birth, and ultimately their existence. Celebratory birthday messages are usually more serious, compliment the person deeply, and/or thank them for being who they are. Compliment some of their accomplishments or tell them how they have blessed you. Use these examples to get you thinking of how to express meaningful birthday messages.
1."God definitely made someone special when you were born. Your life has been a great blessing to those you encounter. Happy Birthday."
2. "I am glad that you were born, because otherwise I wouldn't have been blessed to know you. Happy Birthday"
3. "You are the coolest person I know who was born on this day. Happy Birthday!"
4. "Ecstatic Birthday! There... that's even better than a happy birthday."
5. "I hope you enjoy your birthday as much as I enjoy being around you. Have a great birthday."
6. "Even though you may get gifts today on your birthday, you are a gift to me every day. The gifts you get are just a way of people saying thanks. Happy Birthday."
7. "You are so amazing, I would celebrate your life more than once a year if I could. Come to think of it, I think we should all get a few birthdays a year."
8. "Wrinkles may tally up the years on our faces, but you will always be the same great person who was born years ago on this day. Happy Birthday."
9. "Wishing you a happy birthday and hoping for many more years of blessings and prosperity."
10. "Even as you grow older, you continue to remain in style. Happy Birthday to a true classic."
Birthday Card Message Tips
Here are some tips to make your birthday message better and keep you on the right track.
- Make fun of the person you are giving the card due to old age, unless you know he/she will take the joke well. It is a good idea to allow the people who are the same age or older to make the "old person" jokes. These stereotypes are overused in birthday card messages and usually get an eye roll reaction before a true belly laugh.
- Get off subject. Stay on the topic of the birthday, mentioning other things will show a lack of focus and may come across as insincere. Avoid talking about yourself too much also, as this will make you sound self absorbed.
- Include at least one positive phrase or sentence if you are to use negative birthday humor. Mention in closing after the joke how important the person's life is. Wish them a happy birthday sincerely.
- Be prompt. Belated birthday cards are better than no birthday cards, but you don't want the person to think you forgot them.
- Putting money in the card is a nice touch. Grandparents usually know this trick.