- Gender and Relationships
Body Language of Attraction
I find body language very interesting. If you are paying attention you can pick up on a lot of clues about how people are feeling.
Before You Even Meet
It is often thought that men usually make the first move. While they are often the ones that do the approaching and first say hello it is actually the women that usually make the first move.Women make the first move with flirtatious eye contact and smiles. Men usually do not approach women until they receive eye contact and a smile to indicate that the women is ready to be approached.
Here are some ways that our bodies show attraction:
How to Tell if Someone is Attracted to You by Their Eyes
- Eyes dilate when we are stimulated and in a problem solving mode. This happens to both men and woman. Dialation means that the black circle in the middle of the eye gets larger.
- Eyebrow raises signal that I am not threatening.
- If a person's eyes are darting around they are either bored or nervous.
- To generate a strong rapport the first time you meet someone you should look them in the eyes 60 to 70% of the time.
How to Tell if Someone is Attracted to You by Their Face
Did you know?
- It takes between ninety seconds and four minutes for someone to realize that your flirting with them.
- We pick up on flirting in three ways: 55% through body language, 38% through tone of voice, and 7% by what we say.
- A man is much more likely to approach a women after she has made eye contact with him.
- A man finds a woman who is smiling at him more attractive than a woman who is not.
- Genuine smiles indicate interest. You can check to see if a smile is sincere by looking for wrinkles around the eyes. Crinkling at the outer edges of the eyes, sometimes referred to as crows feet, as well as crinkling under the eye indicate that it is a sincere smile.
- A smile where the head is turned down but the eyes are upward indicates attraction.
- Smiling people are more persuasive than people who are not smiling and more likely to get the date, the phone number, the kiss, or all three.
- If a person is being open and honest they may display their palms.
Legs & Feet
- Legs and feet turn toward what they are interested in.
- If legs are cross the knee will point toward who or what you are interested in. Who being the person you are interested in or what being the door or escape if you want to get away.
- If a person's legs and arms and both crossed at the same time you should not ask them to make a decision, like if they want to go on a date. Wait until they have uncrossed themselves and they will be more open.
How to Tell if Someone is Attracted to You by Their Body Language
- If someone is leaning towards you or tilting their head in to speak with you, this indicates interest. If they are leaning their body away from you this indicates that they are not interested.
- Laughing is very attractive and makes people feel comfortable.
Examples of Closed Body Language
If someone is not attracted to you, they will not show the attraction signs. They will treat you the same as everyone else. If they treat you differently than everyone else and show you the nonverbal signs of attraction, then they are attracted to you.
- People create barriers to protect themselves. A women might place her purse between herself and the person she is talking to in order to create a barrier.
- If someone has a cup but places it opposite the hand that they are drinking with they are creating a barrier. For instance, I am right handed. I drink using my right hand. But, if I place the cup to my left I have to reach across my body continually to pick up my drink. This creates a barrier.
I hope that learning about these cues will help you to better recognize when someone is attracted to you but also help you better indicate attraction to whomever you are interested in.
- Understanding Body Language - Reading Body Language
Body language refers to the nonverbal signals that we use to communicate. Learn more about some of the things you should look for when trying to read and understand body language.
- Discovery Health;How Men and Women Use Body Language to Flirt
The body language of flirting is highly involved. Visit Discovery Health to learn all about the body language of flirting.
- Body Language - Communication Skills Training from MindTools.com
Learn how to understand and interpret other people's body language.