Body Styles: 10 Steps to Loving Your Body
Nobody feels great about themselves all the time, but you should at least feel good about yourself most of the time. Body image is something every woman struggles with at some point in their life. For many women, the struggle with negative body image occurs every single day.
A negative body image is:
- An inability to see your body as it really is. Your perception of your body will be different from how it is.
- Not believing you are attractive—that only other people are.
- Considering your body size, style, and shape as a personal failure.
- Feeling ashamed and anxious about your body.
- Always feeling self-conscious.
- Constant worrying about calories, weight, and food.
- Feeling uncomfortable in your body.
When you have a positive body image:
- You have a clear perception of your body shape. You see your body as it really is.
- You appreciate your natural body shape. You celebrate your unique body style.
- You understand that a person’s true character is not revealed by physical appearance.
- You are proud of your body.
- You refuse to spend time worrying about calories and your weight.
- You feel comfortable in your body.
Here are ten things you can do to accept yourself, accept your body, and embrace a positive body image.
1. Appreciate the things your body can do. With your body, you can walk, dance, laugh, and dream.
2. See yourself as a whole person. When you look at yourself in a mirror, avoid focusing on specific areas of your body. Everyone else sees you as a whole person—you should too.
3. Wear comfortable clothes that make you feel good about yourself. Try not to wear clothes that are too tight or too baggy, and fit your style.
4. Remember that true beauty is more than skin-deep. The most beautiful people in the world are beautiful because of who they are, not what they look like.
5. Keep a list of the top ten things you like about yourself. These things shouldn’t be about what you look like or your weight. Make sure you read your list often.
6. Surround yourself with positive people—positivity is catching. By being around positive people, you will learn to be more positive yourself.
7. Stop listening to the inner voices telling you something is wrong with your body, or that you are a bad person. Drown these negative voices out with positive ones.
8. View media and social messages critically. Instead of believing what they tell you, look beyond the hype to see the truth.
9. Pamper yourself. Show your body that you appreciate it by soaking in a tub, taking a nap, or going for a walk on a sunny day.
10. Do something for someone else. You might be surprised at how good it will make you feel about yourself.
Please feel free to share your experiences with us by leaving a comment in the box at the bottom of the page. Because I want this to be a safe place where we can feel comfortable sharing, all comments will need to be moderated.