Brides: How you secretly piss off your bridesmaids
Brides Listen Up!
But its "MY DAY"! Your bridesmaids understand that your wedding day is "your day" and that you want to make it special and memorable, who wouldn't, BUT causing your closest friends and family a lot of frustration and upset just to make things "perfect" is insensitive and disrespectful. Here are some ways that you totally piss off your bridesmaids that most wont tell you because they want to be a good friend and bridesmaid. Here's what you need to know that they keep to themselves:
1. Bridesmaid Dress. Don't make your bridesmaids buy a super expensive, unflattering bridesmaid gown. I know brides want to be the center of attention and attempt to make their bridesmaids wear less attaractive dresses to do so but that is just tacky. Remember 99% of the time they will never wear that dress again and now they are out at least 200 some dollars or more depending upon the dress you selected. Bridesmaids are there for love and support not to feel badly about themselves and out a lot of money in order to make you feel better about yourself. Be respectful.
2. Shoes. If your bridesmaids dress is long, to the ground, let your bridesmaids choose whatever shoes they like, who is going to see them anyway or care. If you choose to have short bridesmaid dresses then try to select a shoe that doesn't look like a wedding/bridesmaid/prom shoe that you know will never be worn again. Remember that is an additional purchase that they have to make that again they will wear once, so why not let their money be put to good use and purchase a shoe that is likely to be worn again. Place yourself in their shoes (pun not intended) before making selections...how would you feel?
3. What do YOU think? Don't ask us our opinions of your wedding selections from the wedding dress, to the colors, to the food, to the band, who should sit where etc. Your bridesmaids know you want what you want so please don't put them in that position. If they end up telling you they don't like something and you choose that option then it becomes an uncomforable situation. Just make the decision and let them know what you have decided.
4. Expectations. DO NOT MAKE A LIST OF DO'S AND DONT'S FOR YOUR BRIDESMAIDS!!That makes you a bridezilla! If they want to cut their hair...let them. If they gain weight...let them. If they want to do their own hair...let them. If they do not want their nails done....let them. If they want to do their own makeup...let them. They are friends not robots. If this is an issue then you may be out some bridesmaids and the ones who stick around are beyond pissed, its just not their personality to create confrontation. But know that they are PISSED!
5. Wedding Shower. Please do not make your bridesmaids, friends, and family play cheesy games that is done at every wedding shower. Boring. They are cheesy for a reason. Your bridesmaids will not tell you this because that would be considered rude and hurt your feelings but know this....they hate these games! Again be creative and tailor your festivities to your personality and make it fun for everyone. If someone else is planning it, tell them in advance what you do and do not want to do.
6. Bachelorette Party. If your bridesmaids have to go to one more bar where the bride is wearing a veil with fake plastic penises and condoms all over her she is going to scream! Again she is doing it for you but YAWN YAWN YAWN. Remember they again have to get a gift which will cost them more funds (not to forget the wedding shower gift and the wedding gift) so you owe them that much to make it a fun and unique event. Otherwise just avoid the situation all together.
7. Wedding Day. Your bridesmaids are your friends/family, not your slaves.They want to help you look your best and to make sure you are ready for your big moment but in no way are they your servants. Have some respect.
8. Reception. Don't try to pair up your bridesmaid with the groomsman they walked down the aisle with. Tacky. Tacky. Tacky. That entire situation is already uncomforable so why put more pressure on it then necessary. Let things go the way they are going to go and focus on your new union with your husband.
9. Reception. Part 2. Avoid the classic typical reception games. Be creative. The dollar dance...overdone. Yawn. The bridesmaid/groomsman dance...awkward and know that your bridesmaids are extremely annoyed with this decision and cant wait for it to be over. The infamous throwing the flowers for all the single ladies...not original and none of your friends want to go out to the dance floor to announce to the world they are single. Creativity is key!
10. This is an average breakdown on what your bridesmaids spend on YOUR wedding:
Wedding shower gift: $30
Bachelorette party gift: $20 (not to mention other things you make them pay for, ex. limo)
Wedding gift: $30
All added up your bridesmaids are shelling out an average of $450 over the span of time you announced your engagement to the day of your wedding. The least you can do is show them some respect, be original, and show your appreciation.