- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Bridesmaids: Choose Them Well and Be A Happy Bride!
Select Bridesmaids That Make YOU Happy!
Having owned a wedding salon for many years and having worked with thousands of brides and their obligatory bridesmaids, I can say with certainly that you need to use lots of common sense when selecting the perfect bridal party, one that will contribute to your happiness--and not make you feel like you want to jump off the nearest bridge!
The Rules for Selecting Happy Bridesmaids
* Ask only your closet family members and friends. These are the people who love you and have your own best interests at heart. And don't forget your fiancé's sisters! (One of my bride's FMIL's went bonkers when her daughter was not invited; she wrecked havoc on the entire wedding.)
* Ask only those who are NOT strapped financially. A wedding can be a hardship for those who can't afford all the costs involved, and their unhappiness and frustration is not what you need when planning a wedding. (If one of these people happens to be a family member, offer to pay some or all of the cost if you can.)
* Don't ask people to "even" the numbers. If your groom has six groomsmen, don't worry about only having four bridesmaids. (Those whom you invite to "even" the numbers will know the reason and this will come back to haunt you. I've seen it many times.)
Bridesmaids and Timing...
The average engagement lasts about 16 months and that's a lot of time to spend with a bridal party that isn't happy or on your side.
Over the years, I've received countless emails from brides-to-be who want to "disinvite" bridesmaids and my answer is always the same: Once invited, there's no going back.
Use your common sense when selecting your bridal party and follow the rules, and you'll be on your way to wedding-planning bliss!